$$ Better spent on new lens or external flash

dand

Hi,

I primary take photographs of my childern as well as a few

landscape / architectural shots for fun. 90% of my prints are 4x6...

I read that if you are printing 4x6 prints, you would be pressed to

notice the difference in quality between lenses. I love the 18-55

range and thought of purching the 17-85 lens but the low f-stop has

made me think twice. Usually indoors I use the 50mm 1.8 Long story

short, should I save some money and purchase the 430 or 580 flash.

If so which one

Thank you for reading this long winded thread and for your resonse.

Unless you need the few extra features of the 580EX, get the 430EX. I think Alan Chan is right though. for $100 or less you can get a Sunpak 383, or something like it (think Vivitar 283/285 class). Very few things you can do with a single 430EX/480EX, that you can'd just as well with a Sunpak 383.

If you are meeting your needs with working by available light and the f/1.8 then it is a mugs game to start using flash since there is really nothing quite so horrible as a flash used attached to a camera. Millions do it becuase it is convenient, and that is all that can be said for the practice.

Slightly not so horrible is to use the flash on an extension arm.

Getting an f/1.4 or f/1.1 lens could be a help to you if they suit your camera ... plus if it is a digital you can always deliberately under-expose in the camera by up to two stops and lift in a good editing programme like Elements#3 or Paint Shop Pro v7 onwards with the use of the levels/curves tools. I shoot available light and only have an f/2.8 lens .. use my flash for about 0.01% of shots.:-)

JC:

<p>

Flash is good for three things:

<p>

1) To even out interior lighting and lessen color casts<br>

2) To reduce contrast by filling in shadows, particularly around eyes and facial features<br>

3) To add catchlights<br>

<p>

Bounced properly, a good flash can tremendously improve indoor photography.

<p>

DI

I have 10' ceilings in the house. From what I understand a flash like the 430ex should be fine with that ceiling height. I have determined that I really need to pick up a flash and start practicing technique (I have a rebel xt) and I am very trigger happy! I just have not yet determined if I should spend the dough on a canon 430/580 or get a sigma or promaster.. I guess I have some research to do on this.. Thank you everyone for your insight regarding this thread. Any thoughts or experiences for those of you that have used Canon and it competitor's flashes; your experiences and input would be appriciated.

Cheers

Sometimes I use the in-camera flash and other times I use my Sunpak 383 external.

I think the lens does make a difference, even in a 4x6.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a lens slower than F2.8 wide open.

Although I do own the Canon 70-200 F4, where I made an exception for the lens' light weight and low price in comparison to it's F2.8 brethren.

-- Terry

I've used several Canon Speedlites, and hav a 550EX now. I have also owned & used a Sigma EF-500 Super. The Sigma is a nice flash but it's user interface is not as simple as the Canon. The Sigma has fewer buttons, but more menu layers. The Canon 430EX and 580EX are even easier to use than my 550EX.

I found flash exposures to be similar with them, but not quite the same. Some people have reported exposure difficulties with the Sigma, and others have reported the same with the Canon. I think it's probably a wash between them. The Sigma will work fine in a Canon wireless E-TTL multiflash system, and will cooperate with other Canon Speedlites as either the master or the slave. However, the differences in their user interfaces is a distraction when using both Sigma and Canon Speedlites together.

The Sigma's maximum flash output is about .1 to .2 stops less than the Canon 550EX, but the Sigma recycles at least 30% faster. The newer 580EX also recycles considerably faster than the 550EX, so this is something that Canon has addressed. The Sigma does not have any of the Canon's custom functions, nor does it have the external high voltage port of the 550EX/580EX. However, the Sigma does have a built in generic optical slave built in, and that was great when using it with other non-dedicated flash units. I wish Canon woiuld try to catch up here as well.

Also the Sigma's AF assist light only works for the center AF point of any Canon (D)SLR. The 430EX and 580EX will cover all, or at least most of them, depending on which camrea you use. To be fair however, the Sigma's center AF point illuminator is brighter than Canon's & works for a greater distance.

I use a Canon 420EX (bought used for a good price) and it is great on my ElanIIe. You should get a flash with a swivel and tilt head to make it easier to bounce off your ceilings in both landscape and portrait orientations. Later on you can even consider getting Canon's OSCS2 cord (around $50) and just hold the flash 3 feet away from the camera in one hand while shooting with the other hand.

I started out with the 420 and then a couple of years later bought the 580. Obviously, the

580 is much more expensive, but I find it much more useful as well. When you're

bouncing the flash, the extra power of the 580 is really noticeable, in my opinion. The

420 is a nice slave to the 580, though. You might be able to find a store in your area with

that would let you try out the 420 and if you're unhappy with it return it for the 580, or, if

you're in a bigger city, a store that rents (though probably only the 580).

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggetions on my dilema. After much consideration I purchased a Promaster 7500. I am VERY happy with the purchase and I am having fun learning and experimenting bounce techiques.

Thank you again.