W/NW Some Autumn Views

Thanks Paul. Very nice. I still have my eye on an E++ Rolleiflex 2.8E for 399 GBP

Trouble is that the largest CD scans my local lab will do from 6x6 are 1200x1200 pixels so I will have to get an Epson 4990 to scan the negs myself. (Another 350 GBP that I dont fancy paying out for a one task box) Or find a lab to do expensive drum scans.

Sounds like you have a pretty good solution Paul. How much was a 'small fortune' if you don't mind me asking? (And if the wife isn't reading!) I have looked at late model 2.8Fs and nice ones go for about 650 - 750 GBP here. Part of the reason I am thinking of a 2.8E or 3.5E is because they are less 'fashionable' and I dont mind using a hand held light meter.

I have had a Rolleicord VB and a Yashicamat 124G before but the 'gold standard' for TLR is always going to be the Planar/Xenotar Rolleiflex.

Cannot lose out really. If I decide to sell then I am bound to make on the deal. TLR prices took a dip a year ago but are creeping up again now there is more confidence in 120 film supplies continuing.

Just need some company to make a cost effective TLR digital back! (Are you listening Huw?)

Now you guys got me wanting to dig out my Minolta Autocord and Rolleiflex T. I haven't shot any 120 in probably 10 years or more, since I sold my 'blad kit! A lot of people preferred the Schneider Xenotar over the Zeiss Planar for its less "clinical" look ~ I guess today we'd say the Xenotar had better bokeh. Has anybody tried the Rolleis made for the East German market with the C.Z. Jena Biometer lens? There was also a French made TLR (Semflex?) with Angenieux glass, but I've never seen one.

Some nice images Paul.

I use an old Rollei Automat and a Minolta Autocord- both cost less than 100UKP and both are capable of delivering very nice image quality. FWIW, Doisneau, Brandt, Lee Miller etc. would most probably have used the Automat for their most famous work (if you don't count Brant's wide angle large format images). In fact, I saw Lee Miller's old camera at an exhibition of her photos - yup an old 3.5 Automat .

That said, there is something special about the E/Fs and a truly mint example is rare indeed.

Thats a personal decision.

I will be happy with a more humble mechanically/optically good 2.8E/3.5E version in E+ or E++ cosmetic condition for less than half that price. I dont want a camera I am going to be nervous about using and I don't want a 'beater' either. I am not prepared to pay the premium for a scarcer (or later or F version) as I already have a good light meter, instructions are readily available on the internet and mint boxes and cases dont interest me. B+W make excellent bayonet filters which cost less than Mint originals.

Paul was prepared to pay the premium to get what he wanted and is shooting with it.

I am not even wedded to the idea of the E or 2.8 versions if something good comes along at the right price/condition.