Ilford & Epson have had a working relationship for some years. Many

have said that Epson papers are produced by Ilford. Will the Epson

ICC profiles match Ilford papers? I say this as I have downloaded

Ilfords profiles & Photoshop does not recognise them.This could be

due to my inadequate computer skills or other factors. The files

provided by Ilford are a ZIP file that my computer does not

recognise.Any help appreciated.

First you need a utility to "unzip" the Zip files. If you have Windows, you can download Winzip from the web (it's built into XP). In Windows (NT or XP), right-click on the *.icc file and you will see an option to "install" the profile.

If you are using an older Windows version, it's time to upgrade. If you are using a Mac, find a sympathetic forum for help.

Melvin, all the instructions you ever need are also contained in the compressed zip file you downloaded. Unfortunately, they assume you know what to do with a zip file.

Like Edward mentioned above, if you have a relatively new computer, it should probably know how to open it automatcially when you double click on a zip file. If not just download winzip from www.winzip.com

Enjoy your prints.

Bernard,

I am not sure if you are using a PC/WinXP or a Mac, but when I unzip the Ilford zip file for the Epson 2100/2200+smooth pearl paper, the zip file contains 3 files, the ICC profile itself, and 2 PDF (Acrobat) files which are actually instructions on how to deploy the ICC profile. I read those PDF files and have no problem knowing what to do with the ICC profile.

For example in my case, a PC/WinXP environment, I had to copy the ICC file into the windows/system32/spool/drivers/color folder. Thereafter, I was able to select it either for soft proofing under the view/proof setup menu options in Photoshop CS, and the print with preview..print space...profile selection.

The detailed instructions are included in the zip file ... please read them so as to do the right thing for your specific environment.

Daniel:

The Ilford profiles seem to be in the right place. I see them listed in the "color" folder and I can select them in the Print Preview dialog box. However, when I press "print", they are not listed in the "properties" dialog box. All that appear there are:

Plain Paper, Enhanced Matte, Velvet Fine Art, Watercolor

Maybe I'm doing something else wrong since I don't even see other Epson papers listed. I have ignored this problem in the past because I always use Epson Enhanced Matte, but now I want to try Ilford's Pearl.

Bernard,

That list of paper types you see is in the "EPSON XXX Properties" window that is part of the Epson driver. All it knows is the various types of Epson papers, and the profiles from the paper manufacturer or elsewhere are made with the most suitable choice from that list.

For example, I use Ilford's Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper and select "Premium Semigloss Photo Paper" in the Properties window as Ilford

tells me to do in the instructions for the paper.

The place to choose your paper profile is in the "Print" dialog you get from selecting "Print with Preview..." menu item. Select "Color Management" from the drop down menu, then choose your profile in the Print Space Profile drop down.

Later in the Properties menu, choose ICM Color Management and No Color Adjustment, as usual.

Daniel. When I try to open the zipped ,with Winzip, Galerie profile I get a message that says...Windows needs to know what programme created this file! I confess to computer illiteracy. My original question remains unanswered.Will Epson ICC's be usable for Ilford papers? Maybe I should just try it.

Bernard,

I think you might have done most of the things right, it's just your expectation that needs to be corrected.

When you copied the icc profile into the color folder in windows, it doesn't automatically create an extra item in the Paper drop-down selection in the printer driver. How I wish it is that sleek and nice.

The reality in fact is rather crude. All it does, after you you've deposited the icc file in the color foler, is that this profile is made available for use by programs that know how to use it. Adobe PS is one. And in fact, after you have selected it to be used by Adobe PS, in the Print with Preview/Print space/profile field, you have to tell the Epson driver not to be a busy body and apply further corrections to your print. This is done by going into the Epson driver's advanced settings (just before you print)and selecting "no color adjustment".

It took me a while to figure this out. I had the same high expectations as you do now.

Melvin,

Download the winzip program from www.winzip.com and install it by double clicking the winzip90.exe file.

After you have successfully installed (or setup) winzip, Windows will automatically recognise a zip file when you double click it. It should launch the winzip progam, provided you installed successfully.

When you double click on the SmoothPearlPaperxxx.zip file, windows will launch the winzip program. Unzip (or Extract)the files into a folder you specify.

Then, copy the icc file into the correct folder in your windows directory. Typically it is the windows/system32/spool/drivers/color folder. Please read the two included .pdf files for details pertaining to your environment.

In case you wonder what are pdf files, well, here we go again...

You need to download the acrobat reader from www.acrobat.com...