how do I get my Nikon SB-800 speedlight to work off the camera?

cris_watk

I'm new at this folks. I have a Nikon D70 and the speedlight. I

use the flash quite often bouncing the light to the ceiling or walls

with a diffuser cap (opaque white cover) but I've been reading the

forums and sometimes people place their speedlight off the

camera...how do I get the flash to sync with the camera? Do I need

an attachment? Sorry, this is probably a dumb questions.

thanks for your patience with someone who knows little.

You can use a remote cord. Or you can use your D70's built-in flash in commander mode

to trigger your SB-800.

On the camera, go to the function menu and scroll to function 19. Select TTL commander

mode.

On your flash, hold down the select button for a couple of seconds, then choose the mode.

The function you are looking for has a small flash icon with a wavy line next to it. Select

"Remote." Then you must set your flash to Group A, Channel 3 in order for it to be

triggered by the D70 flash.

At that point, you can put it just about anywhere, so long as it can see the flash from your

camera, and it will work just fine.

Best of luck.

Cris-- Bernard's right (sorry, Ron, but the D70/SB800 has more functions than you are apparently aware of). Make sure you have the manuals for both the camera and the flash in front of you the first several times you do this, and remember to put the units back into normal operating mode when you are done.

As Bernard said, the SB800 has to be able to "see" the flash from the D70. You should be aware that the sensor for this is a little red window on the side of the flash. Keep in mind that if you need to, you can flip the flash head so that it is essentially "backward", which can give you a little more flexibility in terms of where you can place the flash.

Also be aware that your max flash sync speed will be a bit slower, as well as the shutter lag time.

Happy shooting. -BC-

K - I need more help. I did all the settings...put the camera in commander mode, selected remote on the flash, but then when I went to set the flash on A channel three...that option didn't exist. Once I set the flash to remote the A/AA option was a blank box. I tried it anyway and it didn't work to set off the flash. Hmm..I need to find the manual...any tips?

Ken Rockwell provides a tutorial in his article: "How to use Nikon Strobes Wirelessly, for Free". The article has 7 pages of explanation, and will help you.

It certainly explains is better than the short Note in the Nikon" Guide, but I found the Nikon note sufficient to use SB-800 as remote and D70 built in as commander. but .. there could be something wrong with either your flash or camera ?

Cris,

"There should be a subscription charge."

You are free to become a supporter of PN, which exists because of individual subscriptions which are not mandatory but are much needed.

If you are truly appreciative of the service and advice available from so many knowledgeable and sharing people on the forum, you might want to consider joining the ranks of the paid subscribers.

OKAY! SUCCESSSSSSS I got it to work after reading that article. THANK YOU THANK YOU! And yes a subscription to photo.net is great. I'm taking a photography class and I have to say I'm getting more out of you all than I am the class. I'm going to defintely give to this site. KUDOS all and thank you!