Canon 20D Waterspots On Mirror

michael_taylor16

What is the best way to clean the mirror of my Canon 20D? <p>

I got the water on the mirror during a lens change during a light rain. I didn't recognize it at

the time, because I knew the lenses needed cleaning and cleaned them. However, all of my

photos have the water spots on them and I can tell that the mirror has the water spots, not

the lenses. By a quick search on the net, many say let the camera repair shops handled it and

others have had success doing it themselves.

<p>So, which is it? Clean the mirror myself or have a camera repair shop take care of it?

Water spots on the mirror will not show up on your photos. I am surprised that you could get water on the sensor, as it is behind the closed shutter when you change lenses) but if you are seeing these spots then they must be on the sensor. It is of course possible that they are the standard dust spots and you have not noticed them before.

Cleaning the sensor is fairly easily done yourself. I typically use the dry brush cleaning method (using Sensor Brush or Sensor Sweep) but if you truly have water spots then you will need to use the wet cleaning method (Eclipse fluid and Pec pads).

My guess is that what you think are water spots are actually dust particles on the sensor with the lens fairly wide open. If you use the wet method to clean the sensor you actually want to use Sensor Swabs over Pec Pads. They are made by the same company but the Sensor Swabs are designed specifically for cleaning the sensor.

Cleaning the mirror isn't difficult either. It's a fragile surface, but you can use the same procedure for cleaning the sensor, or you can do it with a microfiber cloth, alcohol, and very little pressure. Not that that will do anything for your images, as anything on the mirror will not be seen by the sensor. Also, unless they are terribe, you won't see them in the viewfinder either.

As others have said, what is showing is probably either dust or watermarks on the sensor. There are several methods for dealing with that.

I noticed spots on my 10D sensor. I initially assumed they were dust, but later realized that they were soft, diffused circles, not dust-shaped particles. Then I assumed they were water spots, from where I had no idea. A guy at the camera store told me it's most likely the dry lubricant from the mirror action that comes lose and is distributed throughout the mirror box. He says it's very common. Once the sensor is cleaned, the lubricant will return. He recommended sending to Canon for cleaning so they can also clean the mirror box and reduce the chance of future spotting. If you want to clean it yourself, from my reading on the web the safest and best method for spots that can't simply be blown or brushed off is Photographic Solution's Eclipse Fluid on their Sensor swaps. (Sorry if someone already mentioned that, but previous posts aren't visible while typing a comment.)

Thanks for the responses. I've checked and I don't see how to manually move the shutter to

see if there are (most likely, after reading the responses) dust particles on the sensor. I'm

afraid of screwing up the shutter somehow. Sorry to be new to cameras, but I am. My saving

grace is that I follow instructions well. Any place I can read for more information?

• 4 weeks later...