W/NW - Vatican

Not to be a nitpicker, but St. Peter's is not a 'cathedral'. Rome's cathedral, i.e. the Pope's church as bishop of Rome, is St. John the Lateran, more correctly the 'Patriarchal Archbasilica of the Most Holy Saviour in the Lateran', knicknamed 'St. John the Lateran' because it originally was staffed by priests from a nearby Benedictine abbey dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. The Lateran is considered the head and mother church of the world.

St. Peter's Basilica---the 'Patriarchal Basilica of the Vatican'---is not Rome's cathedral but exists as a shrine over the burial place of the Apostle Peter, the first bishop of Rome.

BTW, the pictures are great!

Thanks Dr. Hoppe,

It's not nitpicking to call things, particularly things of great cultural significance, by their correct name.

It does not matter if one attaches any religous significance to the splendid artwork; it, the Western Church, the Vatican, St. Peter's and the treasures within are breathtaking and worthy subjects for photography.

Here's a from-the-hip shot inside the Sistene (no picture-taking allowed) Chapel. M6, 21f2.8 400 Superia December, 2004.<div>00EsMc-27548284.thumb.jpg.000d39a40df114494157ebff1e1a9f67.jpg</div>

Mr. Levidiotis,

Thank you for that picture. You did not use flash; you did not degrade the pigments in anyway. You did not, I suspect, steal any souls.

Technically, the picture is flawed, but it is wonderful that you captured a image that is rarely recorded. That is a great facet of photography.

THANKS!

Italians honour regulations such as 'no pictures' more in the breach. The Sistine Chapel is no exception. As long as you do not use flash, there is no way to physically harm the artwork by the click of a shutter. 'No pictures' really means they want you to buy the postcards and booklets, that's all.

I would have given my eye-teeth for an opportunity to photograph undisturbed in the Sistine Chapel, even without flash. The guards and guides were pretty strict though. It was explained to us at the start that one burst of electronic flash would degrade the pigment as much as months of direct sunlight. I personally never use flash, prefering the existing light mode anyway, but there were many, MANY idiots using flash even in those areas where photography without flash was permitted. I can see why management would find it easier to ban photography altogether. I really did find it amazing how many idiots would use flash even after having it explained that flash damaged the pigment. It seems like every point and shoot goes into flash mode indoors. Those guys really are inconsiderate, pricing their nugatory snapshots above lasting art for the people who come after them. I bought the book, which has better photographs of the chapel than anything I could do on the fly anyway.