Zuiko 50mm 1.8 varaints - question

last years man

Hi all...

I have the chance to replace my old and rather beaten up 50mm 1.8 with

a new one, and am being offered the following two variants (both for

virtually nothing):

Zuiko Auto-S 'made in Japan' (5125934) - no MC designation

Zuiko MC Auto-S 'Japan' (3164115)

Anyone got an opinion on which is likely to be the best performer?

I've read that 'made in japan' models are supposed to be 'the best',

but does this include those that are not marked MC?

Thanks for any help

The 'made in Japan' version is indeed supposed to be best of all, although it has a plastic aperture ring. AFAIK every 'made in Japan' lens is multicoated even though there is no MC mark. The earlier 'Japan' versions are not as highly regarded and may be more prone to a particular curse of this lens - sticky blades.

"made in Japan" lenses are the top of the heap in quality vs. all the other 50/1.8's. You probably can't go wrong with that one unless it's a lemon. All the "miJ" lenses were MC, only early, silver-nosed lenses were single coated.

FYI, I have seen individual earlier MC lenses that were superior to the latest miJ examples. That's a rare case, though.

Skip

I have heard the MIJ version with serial numbers above 5,000,000 are considered the best. I have one and like it very much. I think it may be a bit better than my f1.4 (MC later version). I would get the MIJ lens. BTW, the 50mm f2 beats them both, but will cost you over ten times more.

Dean

The later multicoated lens is likely to give crisper results with more contrast and lower flare, but some people argue that older lenses have attractive qualities, particularly for black & white.

Why not acquire both if they're so cheap? You can then try them side-by-side. That way you will be able to decide which you prefer.

• 2 weeks later...