So I have an old, but fairly unused N2000 which I use and like. I do

have a digital, but with Nikon's recent annoucement to retire the

bulk of their film line I'm really thinking of purchasing a new film

camera while I can. Does anyone out there with knowledge know how

much of an upgrade the FM3a (or other) would be over my old N2000? I

understand the basic differences but as an amateur I'm wondering what

others think about such an upgrade. There seems to be a lot of folks

that are very attached and sentimental regarding the FM3a so this is

why I am asking about this particular model.

For my part, this camera will be used mainly for

street/landscape/travel purposes.

The FM3a is a camera that you will be able to hand down to your grandchildren. It's build beautifully, has a very solid, precise feel and you'll enjoy using it each time you pick it up. If this is what you're looking for, I'd definitely buy one. </p>

And I have to disagree with the previous post. The FM3a is a <i>definite</i> upgrade from a camera like the N2000. The F100 is also one of the best (AF) film cameras ever made, but it's a very different animal and, I suspect, not the kind of camera you're thinking about with this decision.

I just purchased an FM3A and will receive it tomorrow. I have been thinking about it for two years and when I heard a few weeks ago that it was discontinued I decided to pick one up. It is the last very well built MF SLR camera left that can be purchased new. Once they are gone then that is it. OF course their is Leica and the clones. That type of camera could turn out to be the camera to get for a MF 35mm photographer. Only you can decide if you want a MF camera or not. A f100 or other top end Nikon camera would be great to have also. It just depends on your thoughts about it. I held one and thought it was a very nice huge camera.

For me a FM3A great choice. I will enjoy this camera forever. Film will not go away, it is just becoming a niche type thing. Just last week I purchased a new turntable. Their is nothing like listening to vinyl for a enjoyable listening pleasure.. It is kind of like MF photography. You have a connection to it. But that is just my thought. Other people think differently than I do. You decide what you think and go with it.

Given the cost of a FM3A and the uncertain times for film it may not be a very good investment. You may find yourself with a 10month old camera and nothing but junk film left to put in it. That is another way of thinking about it. I decided to go for broke.

Thanks for the quick responses. It sounds like the FM3a is a solid camera that will give me years and years of enjoyment. From these replies and others I've seen this is a great camera for what it is. I do rather enjoy MF cameras, probably since I learned what I know on the N2000. And since getting a digital I really appreciate and enjoy the simplicity of MF. Well, I think I'm off to the shop to touch and feel.

I wouldn't call the FM3a a *definite upgrade from the N2000*. The N2000 is an excellent camera, well built and well designed, with full program exposure control, if needed, and built in motor advance. The FM3a is a manual advance only camera, with only aperture priority and no program. It may be built stronger than the 2000, but otherwise it's a different camera, not an upgrade. It depends on what you need.

I would consider the N80 an upgrade from the N2000, or better yet the F100 if you can afford it. I had both the N80 and F100 and they are light years apart in my opinion. The F100 is really the finest film camera Nikon ever made, for the money. Though I now shoot with an F3HP, I do miss that grip on the F100!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Does FM3a have a mirror lock mechanism ? I mean some models allows the mirror to

stay lift up all the time. Some models do have 2 seconds mirror lock, the mirror lifts

up followed by 2 second time lag before the shutter opens. This mechanism reduces

the mirror vibration at the time when shutter opens.

Thanks Sean for the answer. I have a Contax S2 and I am sure it is the same for

Yashica FX3 and properly Nikon FM3a. For these 3 cameras, When you press the

shutter with the dial of the timer, the mirror lifts up but the shutter remains closed

until the timer stops timing when the shutter opens. So there is a time lag between

mirror hitting the roof and shutter opening.

I find this function to be extremely useful. I use it in nearly all my shots. It improves

the sharpness of the results in general.

• 2 weeks later...

David wrote: "I wouldn't call the FM3a a *definite upgrade from the N2000*. The N2000 is

an excellent camera, well built and well designed, with full program exposure control, if

needed, and built in motor advance. The FM3a is a manual advance only camera, with only

aperture priority and no program. It may be built stronger than the 2000, but otherwise

it's a different camera, not an upgrade. It depends on what you need."

As a pro who has an FM3A ( My last remaining Nikon ) I can assure you that the FM3A is a

huge upgrade from almost any Nikon Camera ever made. Not only is it sturdy and well laid

out in true age old "FM" style, it gives you Aperture priority, TTL flash, -1 stop flash

bracket button for true pro on the fly backing off of the flash, 1/250 flash sync with studio

strobes, depth of field preview, exposure compensation, big viewfinder, multiple exposure

and..........if the battery goes dead, and it will once a year or so under regular use, a good

pro or advanced amateur can keep RIGHT on clicking.

No pro or well informed Amateur would call the FM3A anything short of one of the very

best 35mm SLR's ever made....and I have used them all buddy, F2 and up! The N2000 can

not even come close to the FM3A, it is a legend and I knew it the day the announced it.

According to the most recent (Jan 06) Nikon website news release, it implies that only the F6 and FM10 will continue to be produced. It did not state specifically FM3a will be discontinued.

There appeared to be a shortage of FM3a right now as most online dealers had put it on back-ordered status.

Some of the dealers in the January issue of Shutterbug listed mint condition black body FM3as at around $425.

I think it is foolish to buy one right now due to the shortage.

With film camera dying a slow death. May be one can pick one up for a song few years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/film/slr/fm3a/index.htm

The link above is to Nikon's Japanese page for the FM3A. Just above the photo of the silver FM3A, on the right it says "hon-seihin no

me-ka- zaiko wa shuryou shimashita" which in plain English means Nikon has stopped this product. Which leads me to believe that B&H or KEH etc. won't be getting any more cameras. If you want to pick up a new FM3A, and if you can find one, don't hesitate!