580EX with omnibouce

danzel_c

i shoot with a 20D, 580EX, flash bracket, and usually have the Canon

24-70L 2.8 mounted on my 20D. my flash strategy has been to use the

stofen omnibouce for pretty much all shots where I'm within 20 feet

of my subject, and I remove it when I'm beyond about 20 feet.

whether i'm indoors or outdoors, high or low ceiling, this is what i

do.

i'm just wondering what the most popular flash accessory for quality

of light is (ex. omnibouce, lumniquest softbox, etc), and for what

situations do you put it on or take it off?

thanks.

I usually take three types of diffusers/bouncers.<br>

1. Flash Card (pull out on the 580EX)- I use this when I want some pretty direct lighting on

the subject within 15 feet, but I also want to take full advantage of a white ceiling in a

reception hall. This also tends to leave the background pretty dark, which works well

when the reception site isn't as flattering as brides would like.<br>

2. LightSphere II- I really like the soft, wrap-around lighting, and how well it works in a

small crowded room. I find that the light tends to be a little bluer and softer than my omni

bounce. I prefer the Lightsphere for getting ready shots, and portrait or table shots

indoors.<br>

3. Omnibounce- I don't use this nearly as much now that I have LSII, however it does still

allow the flash to travel further, which makes it ideal for reception halls where I don't want

to take away from the beauty of the couple dancing alone on the dance floor, but I still

want some diffusion.<br>

<br>

In general, I usually have my flash diffused or bounced for almost all of my flash

situations.

They all do different things and cater to different situations. FOr instance the Lumiquest Softbox will diffuse your flash somwhat but still predominately throws light forward whereas the Omni Bounce (with your flash at 45 degrees) throws light in all directions also. Where you have a low ceiling, wall etc you will get some bounce.

Since you have a Digital SLR and can get imediate feedback why not buy/borrow a couple of different diffusers and try them out for yourself. Get a willing subject (or a teddy bear) and conduct some experiments with direct flash, softbox, diffuser etc. Record the details and keep as a reference.

Trial and error will give you the confidence to know what results the various diffusers with your flash / camera setup.

E

Look at the following thread below.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00El3C&tag=

Do a search and you'll find lots of info about different modifiers. Like flash brackets, it's a personal taste thing, and you'll just have to pick the ones you think you'll like, get it, and experiment. However, if you test, I wouldn't use a teddy bear or small object or test only in the home. Many of these modifiers are dependent on bounce, and the size and color of the space has a big influence on the results. Using a small object like the teddy bear isn't going to tell you how the modifier works with a regular sized human (or groups). The modifier may put nice, soft light on the teddy bear because softness of light is related to the ratio of the size of the light source to the subject--consequently, soft light on the teddy may not be soft light on a 6 foot human. Best to do testing in the kinds of spaces you will be working in.

I use a Lightsphere PJ, with and without dome, an OmniBounce, a Flip It, and a Lumiquest softbox or Photoflex softbox, depending on the space. Medium light or white colored spaces, I use the PJ. For fill outside I use the PJ directly forward with the dome, except for bright sunlight, where you need the power of the flash to fill for groups. I use the Flip It in similar spaces, especially when using an auto thyristor flash (just works better with the flash's ergonomics). I use the Softbox or Omni when in spaces where there are very high ceilings, or it's a very large space, or the walls and ceilings are dark colored, or there is something blocking bounced light from getting to the subject. I use an off-camera flash in most cases except when using the PJ--it's usually not needed because the PJ spreads light everywhere.

Save yourself some money and do what I did. Go to you local grocery store and find a beverage bottle ヨ the clear plastic type cut off the top of it (about 3" down from the lid) and put it on your unit.

I have a Metz 54 and the 20 oz. "Dr Pepper" bottle works great. It slips on about 1/3 of the way onto the flash unit and 2/3rds remains out (exposed). Its compact, light and costs you nothing considering you get to drink the contents of the bottle. I tilt mine forward on a 30-degrees forward angle and get great results. The concept has been around for a long time as a bare bulb flash but I get amazingly soft light with it in the process. I have a Canon 20D.

I started working on this after total frustration with Canon Flash units underexposing images when used in Program Mode with low ambient light where the flash had to be the main light source. See what I wrote in more detail here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Elx4&tag=

I call it my Dr. Pepper Popper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The bottom line sounds like experimenting with different products is the way to go. I'll do just that. Where can I purchase the Lightsphere PJ. This seems to be very popular.

Does everyone pretty much use their 580 EX flash in ETTL mode when the diffusers and bouncers are mounted? When i have the omnibouce on I keep it in ETTL mode, and use +1/3 exposure compensation for indoor shots. For large group shots I take the omnibounce off, kick the flash over to manual mode, take a few test shots to get the flash power just right.