meghan h nova

I know this was discussed in a previous post, but unfortunately as I

read on I got totally lost - so I apologize to the forum, but perhaps

there are more newbies like me who need a "lenses for dummies"

explanation...

I just bought a D50 which came with a 28-80MM F/3.3-5.6G lens. Just

saw on a site that the D50 with the 18-55MM Nikkor Lens for about

$200 cheaper. I got a great deal on my kit, but I'm wondering if I

should consider exchanging for the 18-55MM lens.

I also plan on getting a 50MM 1.8 or 1.4 soon (again not sure which

to buy)

I'm an all around novice who is starting to develop a deeper

knowledge. I've been asked to shoot a wedding in October, so I need

to get a little more confidence soon - but want to know if my first

lens is worth it? The wedding post was a great help - hope I can get

some more advice soon!

28-80 versus 18-55?

50mm 1.8 versus 50mm 1.4?

I will not address the question of pro-quality, but strictly focal length.

I have an N80, film, camera, and I was using a 24-120 lens. This lens is the perfect range for indoor and outdoor general family pictures. When I bought my D70, digital, camera with a 1.5 crop, I wanted to buy the body only, but ran out of time as I was going on vacation soon, so I got the kit lens, 18-70.

What I have found is, that inside a house the extra focal length is really noticable. The wider angle allows for more of the room in the picture and to be closer to the children. And of course outside, I have the option of getting a little bit closer, opticaly, to my subject.

In regards to 50/1.8 and 50/1.4, you are looking at about $100 and $300 for a half stop increase. It is my understanding that the optics is about the same. Btw, the 50/1.8 is the sharpest lens that I own.

i hope you really, really got a great deal on the D50 with that lens. i have to agree with vivek that 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G is not a good lens. the 18-55mm, although more usable on a digital camera because of the wide focal, is also not a good lens.

consider the the 18-70mm kit lens instead, if you can afford it.

there are some out there used. then get the 50mm f/1.8. those two will work well for your wedding shoot.

if this will be your first 'digital' wedding shoot, please consider a backup. a decent point and shoot will work; or a friend with a decent digital camera to shoot backup. just make sure you coordinate with him the moves and sequence of the affair so he doesn't get on your way.

good luck.

Any kit lens that is used with a DX (16x24mm) sensor Nikon DSLR should start from 17 or 18mm, or perhaps even wider. Zoom lenses that start from 24, 28 or 35mm were designed for film bodies; at least IMO, they are not wide enough for DSLRs.

If you can afford the $300 cost, I too would recommend the 18-70mm DX kit lens originally sold with the D70. The 18-55mm DX kit lens is a lot cheaper in every sense of that adjective.

After you use the kit lens (18-70 or 18-55, etc.) for a while, you should have an idea what other lenses to add. Unless you know what you need right now, I would wait a bit before adding another lens. A lot of people like 50mm lenses, but I don't and have never owned any 50mm Nikon lens. There is no right focal length to own; it all depends on your preference.

Hi Meghan. If it's not to late to exchange the lens, go for the 18-70mm DX. It's much better than the 18-55 and you will be thankful for the extra reach at 70mm. If it is too late, don't worry, just sell the lens at the auction bay or here at the classifieds and then buy the 18-70. Some people will tell you to buy the 18-70 used, but Nikon gives you a 5 year warranty on a new purchase, so I recommend getting it new. The 50mm f1.8 is very nice for about $100 and will come in handy for portraits, taking advantage of the wide aperture. Suggest you get the SB-600 flash, extra battery for the D50 and a pair of 512 or 1 gig SD cards. You won't need anything else for a long time. Hope your plastic is in good shape. Cheers.

It would be really tough to do a good job at the wedding with either of the two lenses you mention. As has been repeated over and over here, the 50mm 1.8 for $100 new provides the very best optical quality to price ratio in the Nikon lineup. For a beginner like yourself, the extra $150 for the 1.4 version doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd put the money towards an SB-600 flash. Unless most of the shooting is outside, you are going to need a flash to add on to the camera for the wedding. The build-in won't be adequate. The SB-600 is the cheaper of the two Nikon flashes made for your camera.

The 50mm will really limit your perspective and I'd try to get the 18-70 (not the 18-55 or the 28-80 G, or the 28-100 G) for wider and longer shots.

With that flash and the 18-70 or the 50mm 1.8 and the flash bounced or diffussed and the camera set to "P," you shoudl get some good shots.

One more thing. If you're interested and if you're a Windows user, Microsoft is giving away a nice little program that will allow you to create photo CD's from your wedding shoot. It's Photo Story 3. Go here and check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspxhat

It's one of the nice things about going digital, plus it's hard to beat FREE! Clip music with the photos and bet it impresses everyone. Enjoy.

Hi Meghan,

I have a D50 with both the 18-55mm and the 50mm f/1.8 and both are great lenses. Obviously the 50mm is a much sharper lens, but you would expect this from a prime oppossed to the zoom. I have used a 18-70mm and this lens produces good quality photos too, but will be a bit more expensive than the 18-55mm. You can get a brand new 50mm from B&H for $95 and this would give you the best quality photos at the wedding. See the link below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=247091&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Hope this all helps

N.

I *cannot* thank you all enough for your help and advice - I know my question is not an original one, and I was hesitant about violating forum etiquette on my first post - but I feel like the comments here were so clear and immensely helpful. I am so excited to have found photo.net and this wonderful forum of enthusiasts and look forward to learning from you all - and hopefully contributing some knowledge of my own soon!