Experience with these lenses on 5D or 1Ds?

bjorn_tennoe

Today I use 10D, but "some day" I might get 5D, when the price is

acceptable. Today I will not buy lenses not good enough for a FF-

camera. I wonder if there is experience out there with these lenses

combined with a full frame camera (5D, 1Ds):

EF 20 2,8

EF 50 1,4

EF 100 2,8 macro

EF 135L 2,0

EF 300L 4,0

Tamron 28-75 2,8

I use a 5D with the 50/1.4 and the 135/2L from your list. Obviously, being among Canon's best primes, this represents 'as good as you get' in terms of image quality.

I was shooting at the wedding of some friends yesterday, and they included available light images in the church at high ISO. With this camera/lens setup you get good OOF areas with low grain and no banding.

<p>I haven't shot full-frame since I abandoned film and bought a 20D :-) But many of the lenses on your list have excellent reputations.</p>

<p>The 50/1.4 is one of Canon's premier lenses, despite not having the red stripe on it. The brochures for the 1-series pro bodies tend to show more pictures of this lens mounted on the bodies than any other. I have this one, and its optics are very, very good. I would not hesitate to buy this lens for a full-frame camera.</p>

<p>I haven't used the 100/2.8 macro (either the current USM one, or the previous non-USM version) or 135/2, but they both have superb reputations. Some say the 100/2.8 is the sharpest lens in Canon's lineup, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has anything but glowing praise for the 135/2. If either or both fits your needs, just buy them; you will not be disappointed.</p>

<p>I have the 300/4L IS USM; I've never used the discontinued non-IS version. I believe you'll find either one to be sharp. I plan on getting rid of this lens, but not because I'm unhappy with it; I really like it. It's just too long for me now that I have a 1.6-crop body. If Santa were to bring me a 5D, I would keep this lens.</p>

<p>The 20/2.8 has many fans and a number of detractors. I've never used it so I can't offer any personal insight. There have been a number of discussions of this lens here over the years so the archives might be of use to you.</p>

<p>I don't know the Tamron at all, other than that there seems to be a small cadre of photo.netters who will respond to any question about any 24/28-70/75/80/100/105/135 lens by posting that the person asking should forget the lens they're asking about and simply buy this one instead. Obviously, it has made a strong impression on these people, so there must be something good about it. Given the number of times this lens gets mentioned, there is probably some good information on it in the archives as well.</p>

On my 1Ds, the 20/2.8 (like every other wide angle lens I've tried) is unimpressive, though not awful. About the same as my 16-35L.

Again on the 1Ds, the 300/4 IS is a most excellent lens. It also performs very acceptably with a 1.4x teleconverter, and tolerably with a 2x teleconverter. The 300/2.8 IS is sharper "bare" and with the 1.4x, and much sharper with a 2x.

No experience with the other lenses. The 50mm macro is especially awesome on the 1Ds, though.

I have the 100 2.8 , 50mm 2.5 , 17-40L , 70-200L and 28-300L and use the 5D. All my zooms have noticeable(but fixable) light drop off in the corners wide open at all focal lengths. It's not such a problem with primes tho its still there with the 100 2.8. (which is a super lens on the 5d)

There are other issues with using a FF camera and lenses that one has to face when coming from a cropped sensor. DOF is substantially less as is reach and the high res senor seems to magnify focus issues or hiughlight the slightest camera shake. Apart from that , one uses the whole image circle of the lens and some nasties that one wouldnt see with a 1.6 FOV camera are present. I would rather have a cropped sensor with the resolution , dynamic range and noise performance of the 5d if it were available.