toantruong

Hey guys I want to get 2-3 flashguns that I can mount on a stand and

use umbrellas and soft boxes with. I was thinking along the lines of

the Vivitar 285HV or the Sunpak 555. I plan on shooting fashion stuff

(on-location) and skateboarding. I need the flashes to be or close

enough powerful enough to overpower the sun at times so I can

underexpose the sky. I know Iメll be losing at least 1-2 stops shooting

with umbrellas and or soft boxes. I shoot digital and film so going

from ISO 100 to 400 isn't too big of a deal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The Vivitar 285 is a good cheap and powerful flash. You would have to bump up the ISO and use a fast lens to get good exposure. For something a bit bigger, you can get a Metz 60 CT-1 on eBay for pretty cheap. It's about about 1.5 stops more powerful than the Vivitar. If you have access to AC power, you can get a monolight.

There is no way in this world that you will be able to use a vivitar or the sunpak to do what

you have discribed. One the softbox will eat up alot of your light and second you will not be

able to get the look that you are wanting which requires a fast shutterspeed and moderate

depth of field. Remember that you are limited to shutter speed that syncs to the camera. The

flash exposure is determend by the aperture. Increasing ISO is not going to help. You need

more power. I suggest a 400w/s norman or lumedyne portable strobes.

Michael

I really want traditional strobes but I didn't want to buy lower end ones and end up buying a nice set down the road, just making it more costly. I just bought two 285's on e-bay for $100 which I can use for skating and what not, about underexposing the sky I probably won't be able to do. But now with three flash guns([2)285's, 550ex], it will make life a little easier. How common is it for people to mix strobes with just hot shoe flashes? I can't afford to buy a three light setup and the whole deal but I can scrounge up the money to buy one decent head. Perhaps use the monolight as a main light and my flash guns for fill and what not. Any other suggestions other than the Normans or lumedyne?