Noise ninja batch processing post edit

I have noticed that using noise ninja with the smooth slider up can make skin look softer

on images. Which is good and bad depending on desired effect. Well I have recently shot a

wedding. I have already done the entire edit. I refuse to do it over again 'although I

probably should'. I just acquired noise ninja unfortunately 'afterwards'. I'm going to run

noise ninja as a batch action now and that will just have to do this time around.

My question is sure it's always subjective but generally speaking what are your settings

like when you run this as a batch action?

Where would be a good starting point taking into account that I have already sharpened

my images? If you were to blanket an entire folder with noise ninja what do you think you

would set it on to where it wouldn't be overkill and wouldn't be less than effective?

Thanks a million

Happy shooting!

I use the camera specific noise profiles (ISO based) as a starting point. Then I pull back the luminance strength to -5. This helps keep the skin from looking waxy.

After that I'll usually bump the color strength a smoothness to +5 and pull back the saturation to -5. One of the characteristics of my D2H is excessive blotchy red noise at higher ISOs. Pulling the saturation back a bit fixes that problem without excessive loss of saturation elsewhere.

Noise Ninja tends to reduce the overall contrast on my D2H photos but I prefer to fix that in post processing after noise reduction. The contrast slider in NN is kinda hamfisted, not very subtle. Same with NN's sharpening tool, which I set to zero.

Lex and I seem to have the same approach. I batch process all my ISO 1600 and 3200 pictures from my 20D. I use Luminance -4 and Chroma 0 by default. I don't find luminance noise nearly as objectionable as the loss of detail that NN (and all other noise reduction programmes) produce. In contrast chroma noise is very disturbing and easily noticeable on a print.

Using it selectively is of course the ideal but increases post processing time immensely.