around I do I believe I want to jump into a Pentax system. What I

was wondering is, I know there is a difference between the 645, 645n,

and 645nII, and each has their own price range. Autofocus aside,

(not that important to me), would the 645, the oldest model be a good

choice for a beginer in the field? I am a college student and I

shoot 4x5 but the price of film/chemicals/finding the needed amount

of time to just get a few pictures is killing me. I have been

shooting a little 35mm but would like to move up a step. I can buy a

used 645 on KEH right now for under $200 and am tempted to do it.

What are the features or lack of features that would make this camera

not worth buying as compared to the 645n and 645nii? I hear the

mirror lock is not that big of a problem. I just don't want to get

the oldest model and have it be really frustrating. I could wait a

few months maybe and move up to get the 645n, but really am burning

to get out and shoot/learn now. I do a lot of landscape, some macro,

and a little bit with people. I don't need all the bells and

whistles of the modern stuff (coming from 4x5). If anyone has any

advice to offer me, and/or a website with even a little info on the

oldest model I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot everybody, I appreciate

it!

Having owned the original cameras I know that they are built like tanks and have virtually no mechanical problems, and though I'm not familiar with the AF models the MF bodies and lenses are an incredible bargin today, so much so that it makes me tempted to get back in to it again. Can't see how you'd go wrong buying one.

Current prices for the manual 645 version have dipped considerably for the past 2 years and you can acquire a basic set-up with a couple of lenses at decent affordable cost. You do not normally need the auto focus function when you shoot medium format unless for sports and related fast-paced subjects. The Pentax is now indeed good value for the buck and is considered fairly reliable for its mechanical, metering features and the lenses. Since you do not have any need for the 'bells and whistles' I'd say go for it and enjoy the simplicity of this under-rated gear.

The great thing about the Pentax 645 is that you can get the original now, and use

whatever leftover funds you have for extra lenses. Later, if you really enjoy the format and

camera, you can upgrade to the NII and the lenses you get now will still be usable.

When I was deciding which of the Pentax models to get, I decided it was between either

the new model (for the rumored digital back coming for it) or the original model. To me, I

didn't want to pay extra for the N (compared to the original model) and it maybe not being

compatible with the digital back. So I started out with the original model and a couple of

lenses.

Good luck deciding.

Larry

I have used all the different model of 645's.

The big thing that bothered me with the original 645 is the button used to change shutter speed etc. So I use it mostly for non-AF, X-sync shooting in studio or TTL.

Asdie from that and missing AF which comes in handy as your eyes age they are all solid built with excellent optics system.

I have the manual 645 and it is a great piece of gear. Built solid and handles similarly to 35mm. The disadvantage is not having changable film backs, so you have to go through the roll before changing. Other than that it's a sweet camera. A little secret I found out, that model does have mirror lockup. You have to take the lens off and move the mirror by hand so it locks in place. Another tip, don't spill Dr. Pepper on the camera. Sending it to the factory and repairs takes about two months.

Order 645 today, and you will never regret it!

Lack of mirror lockup is not really a problem. I shot 1/15 and 1/8 sec handheld, and got good frames.

The only problem is lack of ML button to lock metering. Unless you have problematich light conditions, it is not a big issue. I have to switch to manual only about 5-10% of time.

TTL metering is accurate, and flash works as expected.