Does canon 380ex flash work on newer digital cameras?

steve_allans

. . . .but don't worry about the ETTL-2 features.

ETTL-2 flash metering is a function of the BODY, not the flash.

ETTL-2 distance feedback is a function of the LENS (and information is used by the body), not the flash.

ETTL-2 "zoom correction" does not work properly on 580EX flashes when the lens is shorter than 24mm. (no reports of correct or incorrect functioning on the 430EX), and is in any case irrelevant when you bounce flash (zoom head will default to 24mm in most cases)

ETTL-2 "Color correction" of the 580EX and 430EX is pretty much a useless feature because it only comes into play when you rapid fire the flash to the point that the capacitor in the flash can't recharge. When it does come into play, it *might* be useful if you use the "flash WB" preset (who uses that?) but if you use the AWB. . .*in the best case* it will mess that feature up.

Bottom line: The 380EX will work fine.

I am from singapore and the canon guys said ettl2 works with 380ex with 350D

the ettl light lights but I can't see a preflash. So is it still ettl if there's no preflash?

am confused even after reading about the ettl and ettl2

the test exposures are fine though... but never tried the tough things like shooting into mirrors..

It works on a 20D--I have a 380EX and used it on my 20D. Oddly enough, it doesn't require a permanent plus flash compensation like my 580EX.

Kevin--there has to be a preflash. It happens so fast you don't see it with the naked eye. ETTL (regular or II) is the only thing the 380EX understands, so if it is firing OK and the exposures look OK, the preflashes are happening--you just aren't seeing them.

Actually I've seen a couple of reports that the 430EX zooms as if it were on a full frame body, regardless of the actual body in use.

The limitations of the 380EX compared with alternatives are essentially the same as they always were - i.e. it tilts but doesn't swivel, and requires that the camera be able to control features such as FEC and second curtain sync. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, the flash will be controlled by the E-TTL II algorithm in the camera.

The only 'feature' you lose is the white balance communication which is unique to the 430EX and 580EX. Otherwise the 380EX will work as an on-camera flash with full E-TTL 2. It cannot function as a wireless slave though, that requires a 420EX or better.

I have had problems with my 20D matched with my 380EX. The zoom remains on 50mm and the exposure is incorrect every time. I assumed it was an incompatability issue but now I am wondering. I never had a problem with the 380EX matched with my EOS 300 (Rebel 2000)film camera. I am going to check when I get home tonight if it still works properly on my film camera. I will also try different lens.

Hej Jim, kan you please explain a lidt better that "problem" with the color correction with the 430-580 EX? I don�t get it and I�was wondering bying a used 420 or a new 430, and the only significance difference that matter me is the color correction. Or maybe you know a link about it? thanks.

Well, I am really glad if it does, because I own a 380EX and am looking forward to buying a 20D, but, I have read numerous threads maybe on other forums that there are some compatibility problems and poor and unrelaiable exposures with the 380EX and the newer Canon dSLRs.

It's a bummer if it's true, and I'm hoping that it's more of a lack of full features issue than a real poor exposure problem.

Just tried my 380EX on my 20D again. Everything works just fine. Auto zooms (as if for a non-crop camera), ETTL light on, HSS works, exposures are just fine--alternate between 0 and +1/3 flash comp. To me, the biggest disadvantages are the lower guide number, lack of swivel and no manual mode. Otherwise, it is a nice little flash.

<i>the test exposures are fine though... but never tried the tough things like shooting into mirrors..</i>

<p>

Don't shoot directly into a mirror. The results will be bad. No flash unit can compensate for a mistake like that. (Think about it: The flash has exactly ONE setting. The choices are: Blowout the mirror and expose the rest of the scene somewhat ok, or Don't blowout the mirror and radically underexpose the scene).

<p>

<i>Actually I've seen a couple of reports that the 430EX zooms as if it were on a full frame body, regardless of the actual body in use. </i><p>Mark, please do tell! 430EX users have been amazingly quiet on this topic. Or maybe. . .they are all smart enough to realize that zooming is only relevant (or important) in extremely limited cases? But it would be NICE if Canon actually implemented this feature as intended.

<p>

<i>Hej Jim, kan you please explain a lidt better that "problem" with the color correction with the 430-580 EX? I don't get it and I was wondering bying a used 420 or a new 430, and the only significance difference that matter me is the color correction. Or maybe you know a link about it? thanks.</i>

<p>

Sorry. . .on dialup at the moment so I can't properly search the links. They were on the Rob Galibraith forums. Suffice it to say that I have never had anyone come out and say that either (1) It works, (2) It doesn't work, (3) can tell if it works, or (3) care if it works.

<p>

Bottom line: If you don't need manual exposure controls, then get the much cheaper 420ex. Manual exposure controls (and maybe. . .the flip down diffuser panel) are the ONLY reason to pick the 430EX over the 420EX.