24-105/4L IS lenses will be repaired for flare problem

paul -

Have just read about the (possible) flare problem of the 24-105/4L

IS in the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=00DuSE">"24-105L in Singapore?"</a> thread below, along with

a few other threads making their way around the net.<p>A quick call

to Canon USA got me this information:<br>There is a possible flare

issue when light strikes at about a 37.5 - 45 degree angle against

the optical axis of the lens, at wide zoom + wide aperture settings.

Parts to repair this issue will be available November 15.<p>There

are a number of examples of this flare posted online, but I have yet

to experience it myself. The lens is superb.

I just placed an order for mine a couple of days ago, and of course, I learn about this "characteristic" one day later!

It'll be a few weeks before the lens ships, I'm sure. When it finally arrives, I'll have one more motivation that usual for putting it through its paces!

Paul, how "superb" is this lense, is it really that much better than the 24-70 2.8 and worth the loss in light? Have you found that the IS makes up for the F4 vs the F2.8? I like everyone else am thinking of trading in the ol' 24-70, 85, 105 and 50 lenses if this performs as well as the MTF shows.

Todd

I can't make any comparison to the 24-70 2.8, never having had/used one. A 2.8 may offer slightly more background blur than f4, but at the long end f4 can give a nice blur too.<P>For usable shutter speeds the IS more than makes up for the one-stop difference from a 2.8. I've gotten decent handheld shots as low as 1/3 second(!) in the wide-to-normal range and 1/25 in the long end. Since I'm using it on a 1.6x body (therefore figuring 105mm=168mm, 24mm=38.4mm, etc. when calculating 1/focal length for handheld shutter speed), this makes it about 3 stops of extra handheld leeway.<p>It has definitely become the "lives on the camera" lens, but we're keeping a couple of fast primes for now. May ultimately give up the 35 and 50, but keep the 85 or 100/macro. The long end of the 24-105 isn't quite as sharp as the midrange. Will have to make some direct comparisons. So far, no regrets!

Paul, thanks for the info here. I just got my 24-105 and did a couple photo shoots with it. The first was mostly at night, so no flare evident, but the next morning I shot a family with some pretty harsh light and I had light flare on several shots that I thought it shouldn't be,and one heavy artifact in the most unfortunate of places.<div>00Dvj5-26163284.jpg.e5b01ebb0872942595881e03a2e3a481.jpg</div>