Leica M: what is this accessory, 'MS-MAG'?

toke_hage

<p>It's a (de)magnifying attachment for the Leica (more precisely, attaching to the diopter thingie). It's available in any of three magnifications: 0.85, 1.15, and 1.35. For more info, please ask [the company, not me].</p><p>It's "new", but actually the 0.85 version has been available for months and has already been the subject of threads here.</p>

It is a magnifying adapter for leica.

I am not 100% sure (my kanji ability is not too sharp)... I am interested in the bit right

below the

adapter photo- MS Optical, the company that that page is about,looks like they have now

converted the contax G 21mm lens into an M mount lens. The bit above the photo says

that they now have a Canon 50mm .95 adapted to M mount. I think they are in Asakusa..

might have to stop by one of these days. I have seen their lenses in a Japanese Leica

magazine-- They take lenses from other cameras and convert them into m-mount.

Richard Small or Peter Evans, what are they saying? My kanji skills are limited

to basic cell-phone email survival.

A combination of poor kanji skills and google translation magic lead me to believe that they

have reduced the price of their modification of 21mm black biogons to M mount to 52,500

yen. Inquire for details. <P>May I also take this opportunity to direct you to Toke Hage's

webpage? He is an excellent photographer with some really great stuff. Toke, if you are

interested in obtaining one of these magnifiers and cannot find another way, I am currently

living in Japan and I could try to buy one for you and send it your way. Just let me know.

<P>Stuart

<p title="Maybe see you on Sunday, John?"><em>The bit above the photo says that they now have a Canon 50mm .95 adapted to M mount. I think they are in Asakusa.. might have to stop by one of these days.</em></p><p title="Maybe see you on Sunday, John?">Er, not quite. They have parts that can be used to convert the 50/0.95 lens to an M-mount. This company is indeed in Asakusa, though Miyazaki is in Chiba.</p><p title="Maybe see you on Sunday, John?">Before you go to Asakusa in the hope of visiting the service room (see 11 Oct addition to <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DoXD">this thread</a>), check the opening hours.</p>

Lloyd, do you live in Japan? I had to get mine through the good graces of Dirk Rösler

because Map won't ship to the US.

I should add, if you wear glasses, the 50mm framelines are just out of view with the 1.35x

magnifier on older bodies like the M2. Take your glasses off and your eyelashes won't like

it.

>Stuart Richardson , oct 21, 2005; 08:28 a.m.

>Toke, if you are interested in obtaining one of these magnifiers and cannot find another

way, I am currently living in Japan and I could try to buy one for you and send it your way.

Just let me know.

Stuart did this for me for a hood that is only available in Japan. Stuart's a class act.

Thanks everyone!

Stuart, thanks for Your offer, and Your kind words. I have a good friend in Tokyo, so I'm

covered. But nice Leica forum style from You! Did I ever get back to You on Your email?

Lloyd, thanks for the info. How much does the 90mm. fill the viewfinder, when the 1,35X is

attached? Maybe I could start using 90mm. on the Leica M!

Toke

Just got myself a room in the basement of my appartment building for a darkroom. Haven't

had a darkroom for 2 years. Getting the V35 up and running again! Looking very much

forward to spending late nights in red ligt, with night radio and coffee again. Nice to get away

from the computer. Yeapeee!

Toke, yes it simply screws into the viewfinder. Screwing it in completely takes one and a half turns, so once in it is very secure. The X1.35 protrudes out about 5mm (from pictures, the X0.85 looks less deep).

Since I wear glasses Im used to holding the camera without pressing the body to my face, so the magnifier does not really change the camera handling for me, but it is an individual thing. It was meant to be used without glasses, hence the built-in diopter correction, but I prefer to kepe my glasses on as it is awkward to shoot both eyes open if one eye is unassisted. You should note that the magnifier has no rubber covering, unlike the Leica 1.25. Although it has not scratched my glasses, I intend to get an rubber donut like those for the M3 to make it more comfortable.