Save your Nikkormat FT3s

tri-x1

Mine isn't quite as good as that and probably worth rather less.

If you think about what it would cost to get a new mechanical body that has mirror lock-up and will accept manual and AF lenses (except G won't work very well), it isn't an excessive price.

And you can use a Nikkormat to hammer tent pegs in - try that with an N80!

Regards, Ross

I had an FT3 that I got at a garage sale about 10 years ago with a 50mm f2 nikkor--all for $10. it was in beautiful shape except the hotshoe had been knocked a little cockeyed. Sold it for $110 and immediately regreted it. Buikd-wise it was comparable to an F. The only questionable thing was the shutter speeds around the lens mount. And it used silver batteries and could mount ai or non ai lenses. Unfortunately it came out just about the time as the Olympus OMs and suddenly people wanter smaller and lighter instead of built to last forever.

"Unfortunately it came out just about the time as the Olympus OMs and suddenly people wanter smaller and lighter instead of built to last forever."

I haven't heard much criticism of the OM system (1, 2, 3, and 4) when it comes to "built to last forever". Nor, for that matter, of the FE2 and FM2 (the earlier FE and FM did have some bugs to work out). And I'm a long time Nikon owner.

The FT3 was, and still is, a fine mechanical camera. But the fact is that the heft was not absolutely essential to being rugged even though some manufacturers took the opportunity to slim down and cheapen their product line or came out with pure consumer-grade cameras (Nikon EM, Olympus OM10, etc).

I had an FT2, which was pretty nice, but I never really liked the shutter speed ring around

the lens, as I prefer the dial on top variety. I never tried pounding tent pegs with mine,

but there is no doubt that it could make for one hell of a defensive weapon against a

would-be mugger.

Wow! I have a near mint Nikkormat FT3. I think I paid around $60 for it with a Nikkor 50/2 AIS on it. Came with the manual, too. It looked like it was never used (camera and manual).

I am going to go get it right now and fondle it - and I am definitely upgrading the gear bag.

Would it be prudent to cover the name plate with black gaffer's tape now?

(What I don't have is a box - Anyone have one for $500 or so? Gotta be mint, though!)

hil