Overlaping frames

shay_ohayon

Hi all,

Ok, I have a problem with my kiev (just got it from shitty ebay for

a few bucks...) - I have overlaping frames.

What are the chances that the problem is in the body or in the

back ? (I got two backs and in both of them I get overlaps).

Suppose it's in the backs - how can I fix it ?

If you think problem is consistent with two backs - how can the body

be fixed ?

Shay

P.S.

I get a lot of flare with the MIR 45. Is the Distagon/Flektogon any

better ?

Instead of wrapping tape around spools (the 'thickened' take up spool will be full with film after one roll, and you will need to apply tape to another one for the next roll. Etcetera.), you can wind the film a bit further, past the start mark, when loading. One roll of 120 film is long enough to hold 13 and-a-bit 6x6 frames, so you will not run out of film because you 'overwind' during loading.<br>Whether this really helps, and how much more to spool on in loading (half a turn?) i do not know. You will have to try. Apparently that's part of the joy of using Kiev cameras... ;-)

I'm assuming the body you have is a Kiev 60. This is a known problem with the cameras coming from outside the US. There is even a company you can send the body away to get it fixed... it is a relatevily easy fix though if you don't mind opening the body. I did it on my Kiev 60. I have since gotten a problem with occassional light leak (vertical stripe that just shows up every now and then), but I don't know if the two are connected or not.

Anyway, Here is a website... it has tons of info.

medfmt.8k.com/mf/kiev60.html

I tried finding the original page that gave instructions on calibrating the Kiev 60 and taking it apart to repair the overlap issue, but I can't. (Then again, I'm not looking real hard.... you might have better luck).

• 1 month later...
I purchased a Kiev 88 from an E-bay seller about 4 years ago and have the same frame spacing issues. There is a company called Kiev USA that will do a significant upgrade to your camera, which includes correcting the frame spacing. It also includes a cloth shutter, installing a crank for advancement and several other things. I believe that the cost is around $500 and you old body for a shiny new upgraded set. I have been debating doing this myself.

• 4 months later...
Kiev backs have a frame viewer on the back and a manual winding crank. Before taking a shot look through the viewer to see if you are on the frame number (if you see the number in the opening "1", "2", etc) and wind the film to the number if you are on a blank area. That's all. No repair needed, just remember to check and manually adjust.