photographer. I would like to replace my 18-55mm that came with my EOS

20D. After reading fairly many review, I am here to pick one these three:

1. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

2. Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

3. Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

I read lots of negative feedback on Sigma because of focusing and

noise issue. I understand Canon is expensive. But havn't read lot

about Tamron.

I would like to hear good suggesions from you.

If you reply, please also write if price is out of consideration,

would you recommend Canon. I would like to have the best thing ! I

will rather wait little.

Thanks,

Mohammad Khan

The Canon is a great lens and one tat I would heartily recommend to anyone with a full frame camera. However, on a 1.6x crop factor camera like your 20D, the equivalent range (in terms of field of view) is 38mm-112mm. The lack of wide angle is problematic. I stopped using my 28-135 on my 20D for this reason. The excellent Tamron has the same problem but ot an even worse degree (since it 28mm at the wide end rather than 24mm).

There is a Sigma 18-50/2.8 that has received good reviews. I have not personally used or even handled it. Useless if you upgrade to full frame but a much more appropriate range for a 20D.

I've owned all 3 (4 including the 18-50/2.8) If money if not an issue, buy the Canon, sharper, better color, faster, more accurate, and quieter AF. If money is an issue, the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 would be my second choice. All three of the 3rd party lenses had significant copy variation, but if you take a couple test shots wide open in the store before you buy, you'll probably get a very good lens if you do.

Mark

I have handpicked a Tamron out of three lenses and it's very good.

If you give me your Email, i can send you a comparison of this one with my Canon 70-200 f4 at 70mm (all other focal lengths at various apertures of the Tamron included also).

Just another note, the 3rd Tamron was very good, but I bought it new from National Camera Exchage here in MN, and the serial number on the camera did not match the box nor warrenty card, so I exchanged it due to the $50 rebate I didn't want troubles with. The Sigma 18-50 was also very good. I've made 8x12 prints and they are very sharp. Remeber those 100% crops are extreme pixel peeping. I think you'd have to blow it up to 24x36 to see that kind of detail.

m