How tough is the Canon 300 2.8 L IS

jayye

I never wanted to chance it and I don't even own IS lenses. I've seen spare helmets with large holes gouged into them from being stored in the rear box of a Polaris Sportsman. I keep the gear in a Lowepro bag on my back so that my natural tendency as a rider is not to allow myself to get jerked around like a ragdoll.

My rational is: if you were to bolt the camera body to the frame of the bike, this would be the worst case scenario. Attcahing a bag to the bike is kinda like wrapping the camera in a blanket and then bolting to the bike. The camera still endures some high magnitude accelerations. As I'm sure you know, trail riding is bumpier than street bike or even snow mobile riding.

Maybe I'm pampering my cameras, but on thing is for sure, I really can't afford to replace a 300mm lens and I wouldn't feel good about having to send it in to get an element re-alligned.

Scott

The 300/2.8L IS doesn't have any floating elements. That's a specific term used to refer to elements which move to correct aberration changes with focusing distance.

It has an IS element group which can move.

It makes absolutely no sense to own equipment you dare not use for fear of breaking it.

They ship these lenses all over the world with no damage. Unless you leave it loose in a steel box to bounce around I don't think you need to be overly concerned. Just pack it right.

I do not have 300/2.8 L IS specifically but I do have several other IS lenses (600/4 IS and down) that have flown in a checked in baggage several dozen times over recent years, not to mention all thousands of miles they made in car trunk over road of various condition (some of those I would avoid retracing again for the reason of my own safety). IS performance or stability was never an issue. Mount wearing down on 600/4 was once so far, push-pull breakage on 100-400 was once too, but never anything IS-related.

Make sure your gear is properly insured and is properly packed for transportation and use it.

I have carried my 300 on the seat of my LandRover on a track (on the island of Rum - NO roads!) that was so rough my kidneys needed a reposition from time to time. No problems. If not on a seat it is in a padded Lowe bag or for 'really' rough travel a Pelican case. Its a tough bit of kit - use it, and you'll be fine with common sense precautions.

Jason,

I have used Canon gear for more than 10 years now; some IS, some non IS but all of them L glass. My 300f2.8 (non IS) once fell down 2 feet with my 1N camera attached and no problem. My kit has withstood 7 safaris in Africa with dust and lots of shaking around - and I am not too carefull- and haven't had a problem.

Bob, you sound a little frustrated.

Jason, The 300 2.8 is built about as well as a lens can be. By a 4 wheeler, I am assuming you mean some sort of ATV. The biggest problem with those, especially the single cylinder variety, is engine vibration. Either, as already suggested, put your equipment in a good pack and keep it on your back or, put it in a good pack surrounded by 3-5 inches of medium weight foam rubber in a solidly mounted trunk box. The kind of foam they make mattresses out of would be ideal. I've used both methods on my 2004 Honda Foreman 450 with great success. If your ATV is one of those V-twins from Kawasaki or Suzuki, it should work even better.

Pack things up right, and enjoy yourself.

Bill