Looking for a good bag...Suggestions?

petersonphoto

I'm looking for a bag to carry my Leica M6 and a few lenses, along

with whatever other stuff I need to carry. Something like a good

quality messenger bag that has some padded sections in the inside so

the lenses and camera don't rub on each other, and other

pockets/spaces to hold film, maps, a small book, etc. Is there

anything out there that would work?

<p>I got something similar from Uniqlo (Richmond branch, suburban London) for 20, 25, or maybe even 30 quid, I forget. (The padded part is intended for a computer, but it holds some photo stuff instead.) It has lasted well. Look around to see which retailer near you is selling no-name Chinese bags.</p>

I have a whole series of Billinghams for everything from medium format down to Leicas and I think they are excellent although pricey. A medium sized one like the 306 is good if you want to put a couple of bodies and two or three other lenses in along with extra stuff like a book or a map. It is too big if you just want to put a body and a couple of extra lenses in. One of the Hadley range is better for a compact kit.

I use the 306 as I have 2 bodies and five lenses + filters, 20 rolls of film in the front pockets, table-top tripod and extra room for 2 books at the top. A good solution if you are flying anywhere or travelling in general.

The small Domke FX5 (doesn't sound like the right number) won't hold all that. No place for maps, etc. I'll cast another vote for the Domke 803 satchel. A couple of lens wraps will help to protect extra lenses placed one on top of the other.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mekko-Safrotto-Like-Domke-F-308-F308-Journalist-Bag_W0QQitemZ7584755788QQcategoryZ50507QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

<p>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=16034&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

<p>

Domke original = $84.95

<br>Chinese copy = $46.95

<p>

FYI, the Domke original is also made in China. LOL!

<p>

Domke used to make olive colored bags, the most popular color, but stopped making them.

<p>

The Billingham, MClassics, Fogg, etc. bags are more for older gents, sporting cravats, Tilly hats, and water-cooled Porsches. If you're a young stud, get a Domke. Or better yet, an Army surplus bag. Pound for pound the best out there. FYI, Al recommends a diaper bag.

Here is a mad idea for you.

Buy yourself a BOSE IPOD sound dock. Sounds very nice with your Ipod and it comes with a free well made padded black shoulder bag that is just right for an M6 plus a couple of lenses and some film/accessories. I was well pleased when I found it inside the box.

Suppose you could cart your BOSE about in it instead but why would anyone want too?

For what it's worth: if you're really travelling with expensive cameras or clothes, a new or smart bag will pinpoint you as a red-hot target for thieves. Why set yourself up for that?

When I was young, an old friend of mine - a well-known and well-heeled guy - advised me never to carry a bag that might draw attention: "always take crap bags wherever you go. Plastic rubbish is the best." From that day - and I travel a lot - a lot! - and often alone - I've made use of plastic bags, army surplas stuff, and rough bags from second-hand and charity shops. I'm probably tempting fate saying this, but - so far - I've never been targeted. Don't just assume it won't happen to you. I'm not jossing. I've seen a fairly well-dressed guy mugged and his shoulder-bag taken at gunpoint in South America; - while I've been sitting drinking coffee - and taking photos - in the same place. OK - maybe I look like some out-of-work beach-bum, but I've spent time in, and hung around in the dangerous quarters of some of the most infamous cities of the world, - and I've never had any serious trouble.

Rat around, and you'll find something to protect your equipment, and something that won't let everyone know you're carrying expensive gear.

For my Leicas - and I only carry LTM users when I'm on the move - I keep them in rough old Russian leather every-ready cases - anything that will fit - or wrapped up in cast-off small towels that make excellent padding; - and I never have a Leica lens cover on any of my lenses - nor do I have them with me. Just use plastic bottle tops that you've got in the kitchen. You'll be surpised what will fit and protect your lenses.

Smart baggage and cases? no thanks....

Rob

If you like messenger bags, just get a messenger bag & an insert for the photo stuff (& you don't necessarily need heavy duty padding because most messenger bags already provide a decent level of protection). That's what I did & any # of messenger bags fit the bill. Personally, I like Chrome bags (http://www.chromebags.com/) because of their seat belt buckle feature.

Not a unique answer but the Domke F5XB. Big enough for one body, a few lenses, some film and a filter or two. It's only $55 or so from B&H. Nicely padded but not overly so.

I've modified mine be removing the noisy velcro as well as most of the stitching on the front pockets (which makes them useful for something other than a pen). Oh, yeah.... cut off the Domke label unless you want to advertise.

The tan one gets nice and dirty. Who would keep 5k worth of gear in a dirty old bag?

The removable Gripper strap is an added bonus.

I prefer and recommend the belt bag or waist bag Lowepro Orion Mini. Best bag IMO for bike riding, but also for just walking around. Exactly the right size for one M body with lens on, plus two lenses extra, plus room for a few rolls of film, 21 mm VF, light meter, notepad, pen, battery etc. No more unnecessary room for unnecessary stuff. Stable, rugged, light-weight, good belt, good zipper, good padding separators, good shockproofness, good waterproofness, good looks (unnoticeable), good price (low).

I'd suggest the Domke F-6 little bit smaller bag. I can stuff mine with a Mamiya 645, a spare lens in a neoprene sack, then put bottles of water in the outside pocket (tempting fate, I know), a filter wallet in the flap pocket, and film in the back pocket or in the main compartment if I won't be retireving the camera frequently.

And the best part is that if you only put a Leica and one roll of film in the entire bag, it will crumple down nice and small. Mine is tan, and as stated above, it gets a broken in, battered appearance rather quickly, which is ideal.

It also comes with a four compartment insert which takes up 60% of the interior, but I don't use it.

Craig, you got all main bags listed in the above answers. Personally, I think Crumpler would fit your descrition best. Though, as a couple people mention, any messenger bag will work with an insert.

<P>

Be warned however, some of these bags run hundreds of dollars (and some will even scare your wallet dead), but there is no denying that you get what you pay for. My friend's Billingham (purchased about the same time as I got my Domke) looks clean and tidy where as my bag looks well, a bit ragged (but I do love it).

<P>

Oh, one more thing, re: Safrotto/Mekko

<P>

Why anyone would support a company that blatanly rips off another company's design is beyond me. That's just wrong.