Dust issue with Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED

I've run into an interesting problem with my Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 scanner. I bought

it new last summer. What I'm finding is that my scans (120 and 35 mm negatives, mainly

color) show LOTS of dust and fibers. I had made the assumption that the issue was with

the negatives and I've been trying to find a better lab to do my color negative processing,

and working on ways to clean the negatives. The negatives seem really clean when I get

them back from the lab, and I immediately put them in new clear plastic negative

perservers.

After going to one more new lab for developing my most recent set of negatives, and

finding the usual problem with the scans, I took the scan files back to the lab and asked

them to take a new look at everything. The lab guy looked the negatives and they looked

clean. Viewing the scan files on his PC, he pointed out that the foreign material was

sometimes in focus on the file, but often not in focus. His conclusion was that the problem

might be dust and fibers inside the scanner itself.

The scanner is located on my desk at my home office. I have never opened the unit for any

reason. Because of the issues that I have had with dust, I have been careful to make sure

that all the negative holders I use are always clean, and that I use white gloves when I

handle the negaives. I DID send the unit into Nikon for repair last summer, so they

probably opened it.

Has anyone else had a problem with dust/fiber contamination with they're Coolscan

scanners? Any ideas about how to clean the interior surfaces? I am reluctant to do much

with the mechanism inside, including doing anything like blowing into the unit. Anyway, I

thought I'd put these questions out to the forum and see if anyone has any ideas.

David

Dust anywhere in the mechanism will appear as an hazy streak the length of the scan. If it looks like particulate rather than a streak, the dust is on or near the negative. The DOF is quite shallow, so anything resting on the surface of the film or on a glass carrier may be indistinct.

The LS-9000 will resolve particles of dust at the lower limit of detection by eye. Examine the negative with a strong cross light against a dark background. Anything you can see, the scanner will show as well.

Digital ICE does a good job removing "small" problems like this. You will never eliminate these tiny particles outside of a clean room. You will get lint and chunks off with moderate care in handling and cleaning.

"I use are always clean, and that I use white gloves when I handle the negaives" -

So do I - and I know from experience that clean white gloves, both cotton and synthetic, are full of dust. Their only plus is you avoid fingerprints on your negs. I've had better luck using latex gloves, though they do get hot.

Good luck with the Nikon. . .

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. The suggestion to use latex gloves

was a good one. I'm going to take that advice immediately. Also, I will take the suggestion

to use ICE to deal with the dust and put into practice. The bigger issue are the fibers...they

can't be missed on the image.

As for the progress, I've contacted Nikon and talked with their 3rd level support (a

technical support manager) who asked me to send them some of the scans. While they

look at the files, I'm just not using the scanner (brushing up on my C print skills ;-).

On the chance that anyone else may run into a similar issue, I'll follow up with info on

what Nikon did, or did not, do to help resolve this.

David