d70 and cold

serenemedia

Has anyone noticed a problem with the D70 and the cold? I was at

maybe 10 below. I went from the auto to the cold very fast and back

only to get some very odd results. The photos had what looks like

noise yet I was set at no noise level... then from no where the files

went into a different style of format. Now, I did just land off a jet

and airport did scan and check my d70 but not sure if they touched

something or if it was just the cold...any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Trizia

It should work in -10 without problems, other than the usual battery running out quicker. However, if you go from a warm car into the cold, you need to let the camera slowly get to the outside temperature by keeping it in a camera bag and opening it only after an hour or so. Same thing going in, or actually you should wait more than an hour to open it up again.

The 0 C (32 F) limit is just lawyers talking, the digital SLRs work just fine in sub-freezing conditions.

I was out Saturday morning early to catch the snow and AM light. At 8:30 AM it was 4 degrees F and I had no problems whatsoever. Was out hiking around in the hills near our house for about 2 hours. Made sure that I was dressed properly. Biggest hassle was how cold the tripod gets. The gloves I have don't work to shoot with so I kept having to take them off and then I would touch the tripod and want to scream. Did get one of the best shots I have grabbed in 34 years of photo shooting. Temp got up to 7 degrees by the time I got home. The Hot Cocoa was sure good!<div>00EUqE-26946684.jpg.4f6ffdc4bbcabb7b4a6949057f901e7d.jpg</div>

Science = low temperatures = a drop in voltage (in a battery.) The D70 runs off a battery __ below zero probably is a problem with getting a good exposed image.

Now you know why the Nikon FM2n and the FM3a are good cold-weather camera bodies....

Gerald, there is no problem using a digital camera nor an electronic film camera in the cold if the camera is well designed. Lithium batteries last quite well in the cold. If you need to, you just swap between two batteries. There are many people who professionally use digital SLRs in -10 F on a regular basis. The D2 series should be a bit more resistent (that's what the marketing people say) but in practice there are few problems with even the cheapest Nikon DSLRs.

It's not just the lawyers talking!

Hi and Low temps absolutely affect electronic components and their performance. That said, they may "fail" in ways which are neither noticible nor objectionable.

It will take time for the camera to reach ambient temp, and that rate may change a little with the duty cycle of the camera. (Electronics generate their own heat.) Though in the D70, I'll bet it's not much.

And I don't know about you, but I can assure you at -10, I'm gonna quit working long before the camera does!!

Hummm... Maybe I should go into business making D70 sweaters?

Michael, it is necessary to keep the camera in the ambient temperature to avoid condensation. I wouldn't want for example the surface of the sensor to be covered with ice when I change lenses. As to the electronics at low temperatures, generally noise is reduced when operating photodetectors in lower temperatures, so the image quality should, if anything, improve. If some components indeed fail in the cold, that is a design defect and would be a major problem for those who suggest that digital is a replacement for film. However, in practice the DSLRs work great in the cold. I've talked about this with Nikon service in Finland and basically what they told me was that the 0 C limit was written by southern people with no experience with the cold and in practice there are no problems operating the D70 in the cold as long as your battery gives enough power.

I've used the D70 in -20 C without problems, and in snowstorms, in Northern Norway, and I've not had any issues. All my film Nikons also work perfectly in the cold, down to -33 C (I have not photographed in colder than that) as long as the batteries are ok. The lithium batteries nowadays used work great in the cold.

Nikon is not stupid enough to put electronics not tested to work in the cold in their cameras. Much of their reputation is dependent on the reliability of the equipment.

Circuit boards and IC's should be fine in extreme cold given sufficient power. Condensation is a concern as pointed out above. I think if temperature were going to disable or damage anything, it would be the LCD's and/or the shutter (lubricant gumming up due to cold?). Given how long shutter designs have been in use without major reports of cold problems, the concern is really the LCD's.

Ikkla, I think you missed my point entirely. (?)

I am trying to correct the misconception that because person-A's camera "works just fine" in the cold, that person-B's should as well.

It's just no so. And I will explain presently...

I agree condensation is to be avoided. Technically, that has NOTHING to do with temperature. You can make DRY air whatever temperature you desire. I realize this was probably not the case with Patrizia's situation.

I cannot speak for the Nikon engineers, but I can tell you for a fact that the parts inside the camera are characterized by their respective manufacturers. Typically (for temperature), it breaks down something like this:

Commercial Grade - 0 to 70 C.

Industrial Grade - -40C to 85 C.

Military Grade - -40C to 85 C. but usually in rugedized packaging.

There may in fact be a mix of component grades inside the D70.

The sum of the parts used pretty much dictates the environmental conditions under which the entire device will RELIABLY operate. As they say, however, "your mileage may differ". And if it does, that's fantastic, but don't count on it or someday you could be disappointed.

And please keep in mind, Environmental testing is only one of several such test Nikon likely performed (electrical performance, mechanical performance, etc...) But since we're talking environmental, here's a few examples to help clarify the point.

Thermal Shock. (i.e., 100 cycles 0 to +70C with 15 minute dwell)

Humidity (i.e., 85% RH at 70C for 240 hours, non-condensing),

Accelerated Life, (i.e., MID-STD-202F, Method 108, etc...) and,

...maybe whatever standard might apply to airport X-ray machines??

And you're 100% right. Nikon is not "stupid". If they were to sell products like the D70 without properly characterizing them, their warranty returns could put them out of business.

The book says 0 to +40C (+32-104F) for a reason.

Now you know why.

FWIW, here in South Florida, we don't worry too much about 32F, but come August.... well that's another story.

My experiences in cold weather are identical to those of Ilkka. I have been using all my DSLRs (D1-series, D2-series, D70) at temperatures down to -20 C or even lower. As long as you have fresh batteries, and take the precaution of acclimatising the gear to the ambient temperature before you start shooting, no problem with the cameras. More issues with the operator :(

However, if you are in a hurry and try to shoot with a "warm" camera in extreme cold, or even worse, try to bring a cold camera directly indoors, you are certain to have issues. Long lenses with ED elements need to acclimatise too, if you want them to focus properly.