Zeiss Distagon15mm/f2.8 ZM

tom_madilao

I have finally owned a Distagon 15mm f/2.8ZM!

It is a solid lens, and well build! The external view-finder is extremely bright. I shot a roll

of slide yesterday and now waiting for the lab to process. In my opinion, the lens is better

than the rest of Zeiss ZM lens such as the 28, 35 mm, etc. in terms of workmanship/

built. It comes with the centre filter. Same as my X-Pan II, I will attach the centre filter to

the lens at all times. The lens hood is part of the lens.

The focusing ring is not coupled with camera's rangefinder, so focusing cannot be done

using camera rangefinder. Since the lens has large DOF, focusing should not be a

problem.

Regards

Tom

Raymond, I'm not sure what you mean by "up close" with this lens since it focuses down to about a foot. But no rangefinder camera is rangefinder coupled down to such a distance for any lens. The closest any RF camera focuses at its minimum is 0.7 meters (27.6 inches). Even at f/2.8, the DOF at this distance is 15 inches for a 15 mm lens. I too don't know why they didn't couple the lens for the heck of it, but I doubt that it's an impediment.

Mother of all lenses, Frederick? Nah, there are a ton of such specialty lenses that sell for way more than $3700. Leica's own R version of the 15/2.8 sells for $7000. Canon & Nikon have a bunch of telephotos that cost a king's ransom like the 600/4, which goes for $7200 from Canon & $9000 from Nikon.

Thanks all for your comments.

I have not seen my slides yet (currently away on a trip). The view from the external viewfinder is not obstructed by the lens.

I am not a millionaire, but heck, you only live once! I know if I do not buy this lens, someone else will (supply is very limited). Now that I have a good lens, it is up to me to improve my skills and to produce good pictures - no excuses!

Look forward to sharing the pictures....

Regards

Tom

• 10 months later...