Contract Question/Eating

susan_flewelling

I am finially rewording my contract to include eating for the

photographer and assistant. I wanted to do this for a while. Any

good ideas as to how to word it. I want it basically to state that

we need to eat if we work 6 hours or more or we will leave for a

period of time to go eat. Also my friend thought it should word 5

hours and then another friend didn't think I should put that on.

How many of you put it in your contract and how many other do not.

Last question is there anything that is wierd in your contract that

has helped you that you think every photographer should have (not

including price, time, location ect) Thanks so much!!

"HOT MEAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR PHOTOGRAPHER AND ASSISTANT ARE: _________________________________ (Some caterers provide Sandwiches and chips which don�t work well after intensive preparation/travel/and then shooting which translates to 7-10 hours of no sustenance for me and two assistants. -- even a burger or hot pasta is more sustainable and can be arranged with most caterers at a cheaper price than the guest�s meals). Not necessary if you are just doing passed appetizers - as we will make our meal of passed apps."

That is what has been in my contract for years!! Never had a problem but I always check with the caterer/hotel ahead of time. For instance - The Ritz Carlton has a strict policy and will only serve sandwiches.. We get an allowance in that case from the couple - for $12 each (3 less than the $15 the Ritz charges for sandwiches) and bring something into the vendor room which the Ritz allows.

There have been many times that I have been with the bride and groom for many hours and they have not provided a meal. It burns me! I see the dj, spending a few hours and he gets fed, while I am at the house, the church and reception and not even be fed. So, I ususally help myself at the cocktail hour, where the food is there for picking. If I get fed, ok. If I don't, God help them if they want to buy one extra wallet photo. It will cost them. I will do my job, and not complain. Today, most weddings I shoot, the B&G are very thoughtful and feed me. It's just plain courtesey.

When 'un-sure of the situation,' pack a couple of granola bars and two (or three) bottles of water. A six-pack cooler in the trunk of your auto will carry enough for a sandwitch or two. Each wedding is going to be different, and adding two bodies to the meal list may go over very well and it may not.

It's never been an issue for me shooting for my own studio. However, I've shot for other studios as a "candid man" and it has become an issue on a few occassions. One studio that I shot for had a clause in the contract that stipulated that the photographers got a "guest meal" but if there was an issue, I was too professional to pitch a complaint at the wedding and after the wedding is over, whatcha gonna do. Funny, almost every time it was an issue was at the "higher-end" weddings where the B/G assumed that the hall would take care of the vendors. I'll talk about it in my pre-wedding consult but don't bother to put anything in the contract about it.

I've snooped around photo.net for quite a while now and this topic finally pushed me to sign on .... I couldn't agree more with Gerald, if invited to i'll eat, but I always plan not to.... I'd rather enjoy a meal and drink across town afterward than miss anything!!!

I'm with Mary. I stipulate a hot meal. In fact, we went even further: the contract stipulates

that me and a guest (assistant), are placed on the guest list and sent an invitation.

This assures we aren't sent off to the kitchen to eat when something might happen in the

main area; have valet parking so we can swiftly unload and get the B&G arriving, and get in

to shoot the empty reception room and grab a cake shot; can grab a coke at the bar, and

eat when we want to.

I scan the invitation to use in some presentations, shoot the meal when it arrives at our

table (readjusting it for the best shot), have a staging area close to the action, and always

make friends at the table we are assigned to (usually do portraits of the couples at our

table as a bonus for putting up with us coming and going).

No clients have balked at this, and only twice have had some difficulty with the venue, in

which case the invitation ends the dispute : -)

I just consider it as part of my pricing.

It is always interesting for me to see the various approaches to the subject of meals.

I commend those of you who can sustain themselves on a snack. I couldn't do it. I need something hot. Anything cold just goes down in a lump because I'm on such a high adrenaline rush all day. It just isn't comfortable for me to shoot with a lump in my gut. ;-)

I think each individual needs to assess their needs and make sure they

are taking care of themselves. I often start my day at 10am putting together my one page notes and group shot list so it is fresh in my mind. I then memorize the names of family. I then meet with my assistant and go over the list and we check all of the equipment and load the bags. Then we'll leave at 11. Last meal I had was 9am. Sometimes we travel 20 min to 2 hours to the location for getting ready shots. By the time we have an opportunity to eat (because we really work non-stop with no chance to bite into anythin - even a snack) it can be 5 or as late as 7pm. That's 8-10 hours without food!

When people are eating - I don't shoot them anyway so I'm not missing anything. I advise my couples that we should eat when the couples are eating so we don't miss anything. On occassion - like Marc - we are seated with guests - but I don't mind going off to the side or into another room because it gives me a chance to go over the list and refresh the artistic juices.

Sorry another question this rarely comes up but I just had someone want to let us take a 30 minute break so they could extend their package by 30 minutes. I tried to tell them that we continually get up so we don't take that time off but he thought I was crazy. Have you guys ran into that and what do you do. (I am way to much of a pushover)

Unless specifically stated, contracted time is continuous, with no breaks. I've had prospects try to do that too. It's just another thing to be sure to put into the contract. It doesn't have to be a separate clause. Just describe the time as "continuous". And don't get into drawn out, defensive discussions about why. Anyone familiar with business practices (just about any functioning adult) should be ashamed to ask for such a condition--unless he/she was trying to pull a fast one.

I don't have anything written in my contract about meals. I always go to a wedding prepared with water and energy bars but all the weddings I have worked where there was a meal I was provided one without asking. Sometimes I've sat with the guests, others they have put me in a different room, which I prefer, it gives me a chance to catch my breath and regroup and I don't like to take pictures when people are eating...they rarely come out good. At one wedding the DJ and I ate in a separate room and there was even a bottle of wine on the table, which of course neither of us drank. I am amazed at the number of times I am asked if I would like a drink during receptions. I always politely decline...I'm working:)