Lens recommendations - 'new' D1X

my_songs

Hi all

I picked up a new (used) D1X for a good price. I'm new to Nikon,

though. The D1X I used from a friend and really liked the colors out

of the camera, so I took advantage of the lower prices for used ones.

However, I have no lenses. I'm starting from scratch. What should I get?

What do you all think of these suggestions?

<a href="http://makeashorterlink.com/?H2941388C">Advanced/Pro Bag of

Lenses</a>

and

<a

href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DCK0">Lens

suggestions</a>.

What Vivek? No 75-150mm E Series?

my songs,

Buy a very inexpensive, very good 50mm f/1.8. This will give you a

starting point. You can shoot with this, and get to know the D1X,

and get to know what lenses you may or may need dictated by

your shooting style and requirements. This lens will set you back

less than $125.

Hmmm,

I would second the purchase of a normal lens: a 50mm f1.4 or f1.8. They're nice lenses, and cheap. I think it's good to start with a versatile lens like a normal, then grow into other focal lengths as needed.

If you don't mind spending some more bucks (just over $400 or so) you could hold out a few weeks and buy one of the new Zeiss lenses soon to be released for the Nikon F-mount. There will be a Planar 50mm f1.4 released in February. I own Zeiss lenses, and they are awesome! Beautiful color, sharpness, build quality, handling, etc., etc. They say these new lenses are designed to work with Nikon digital bodies too. Similar to the lenses sported on the Contax bodies, but with "new improvements." Here's a link, if you're interested:

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9/?Open

Either way, I wish you well with your new Nikon.

-Jon

The most useful range with a DSLR with a 1.5x cropping factor is a zoom lens in the range of roughly 18mm to 80mm, give or take a few mm. With the cropping factor, this works out to the equivalent of 27mm to 120mm in 35mm film - a nice range for events, weddings, urban life and landscapes.

A top-level lens in this category that would complement the sharpness of the D1x is the Nikkor 17-55/2.8 AFS-G. This lens is also expensive - about the same price as an used D1x. I have a 17-35/2.8, which is the lens I use most for a DSLR (originally a D1x). I bought this lens for film, otherwise, I would have gone for the 17-55/2.8. For under $600, there are several so-called DSLR "kit" lenses in this focal range.

A lot of people like the 50/1.8 lens. IMO, this is not a good first lens (for me, not an "anytime" lens). On a DSLR, it becomes a medium telephoto lens, the equivalent of 75mm. To get a reasonably wide-angle effect in a prime lens you'd need an 18mm, which is nearly as expensive as the 17-55/2.8. Add up the price of a "normal" set of DSLR primes and see if the 17-55 still seems expensive - 18, 20, 24, 28, 35 and 50.

There are also third-party manufacturers like Sigma and Tokina. Many have acceptible optics, but you take your chances on that and build quality. I see a lot of favorable testimonies, but not from anyone who has the Nikkor lens for comparison.

If you can afford it, go for the 17-55 f/2.8. Otherwise the 18-70 dx lens is a good choice and then expand once you can figure out what you like to shoot.

I would skip the 50 f/1.8 as your first lens for a nikon digital body. It will act like a short telephoto and be too constricting if it is your only lens.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good place to start. It is a short tele for the D1X cropping factor, but you can zoom out with your feet and also the tele is not excessive: normal on 35mm is considered to be up to 58mm and a 50mm on a DX sensor becomes a 75mm; you do the math.

If however you prefer a zoom to start, not the best idea IMO, then try to go for the 18-70mm DX. It is an amazing little lens.

If you have enough money to spare after this "used" D1X purchase and also can afford to wait a bit go for the new kid on the block : 18-200mm.

Have fun!

My standard answert is that this question is asked every day on this board, please search. There is lots of good information her for you. <br>You don't even need to search actually, just scroll down.

<br><br>

I'll respond to the list, though:

<br><br>

Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 - $1,480 - <b>made superflous by the next item on your list</b><br>

Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 - $1,199 - <b>the logical choice</b><br>

Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 - $1,300 - <b>not wide enough at 28mm</b><br>

Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 - <b>There is a $200 rebate on this lens now and it has a macro, too. Good choice if you buy a 12-24, too.</b><br>

<br><b>You won't need any of these for a while.</b>

<br><br>

Nikon 200 f/2 - $3,900

<br>Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR - $5,099

<br>Nikon 400 f/2.8 - $7,799

<br>Nikon 500 f/4 - $7,199

<br>Nikon 300 f/2.8 VR - $4,499

<br>Nikon 200 f/4 Micro - $1,300

<br>Nikon 600 f/4 - $8,999 (Whoa momma)

<br><br><b>Yup, buy these:</b>

<br><br>Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR -$1,639 (No rebates anymore...used to be $150 rebate on this bad boy)

<br>Nikon 12-24 f/4 - $ 900

<br><br>The other alternatives are to get the variable aperture equivalents, which are cheaper, less flexible and generally poorer optics; or buy carefully selected Tokinas, Tamrons, or Sigmas (not all are created equal), or buy used.

The thing is, if you shoot sports you will almost have to shoot with a minimum of the 50mm (preferably f/1.4) or 85mm. Even for portraits you will want and love the fastest primes.

With the kit zoom you will need a good flash for indoor photography.

The 20mm f/2.8 is supposedly a great lense and I saw one go for less than $300 on ebay. They are practically giving away the f/1.8 50mm, and I would say get it and either the previous mentioned 20mm or 35mm f/2.