The best medium format travel camera

brian_walton

Opinions may vary widely depending on personal tastes or particular interests. I think you should first consider where you go, and what you expect to shoot. For what I need, when I travel I use to carry a Fujica G690BL with 50mm, 100mm and 180mm lenses, and I'm very satisfied with the results. It's not as heavy as it may seem, if you have an appropriate bag or backpack. Perhaps a Mamiya 7 would have the advantage of less weight, but with three lenses, cost would be an issue. IMHO, if you anticipate you'll shoot wildlife or plants, I think a 35mm system would be preferable.

Just my 2 cents.

ISOLETTE folder camera, or possibly xpan, or both. I hear the Brony 645RF is pretty compact. Alot of it depends on your desired lens and if you'll accept external VF.

I've travelled w/ H'blds, but after discussion here I think I'll just take 2 Leicas in the future. I'd prefer not to be noticed nor have to carry too much bulk. My Isolette carries 6x6 Ilfo film and the Leicas 100ISO color.

I've decide to keep my H'blds (including 60mm CB and 120 Makro-P)closer to home. Good luck figuring it out, sounds interesting.

PS: In Paris or some of those really old Euro towns you got to try the xpan.

Medium format in your pocked: almost any MF folder will do, but the old Soviet Iskra is a

special favorite of mine and it doesn't look "glitzy" enough to attract street thieves. The

camera is rugged, the lens is very sharp and renders lovely tones w/B&W film, doesn't

attract undue attention, not particularly heavy and will fit in a large pocket.

Seems like I've had most the cameras mentioned here including Several Rolleiflexi and Hasselblads and Mamiya 7's and IMO the winner is hands down the Mamiya 6 with one lens attached and another in the pocket (the 50 and 75 are quite small compared to most MF lenses. You almost won't know you have a camera until you need it. Bob.

Rolleiflex 3.5F, with a diffusion panel on its meter and a #2 close up lens - fantastic!

Couple this with a Hassy SWC for a truly dynamic duo! I'd second the votes above for the

Mamiya 6 w/50 and 75mm lenses, if only there were an all mechanical version of this

otherwise wonderful camera.

Well, my choice is not really light weight, but I always use my Rollei 6008 and assorted lenses (40, 90, 250 as a minimum, most of time with a 50 and 150 too). Slide film and tripod are the next things to think about.

<p>

Of course, this heavy set-up is a great excuse to avoid long hiking :-) But the children are too young for that anyway.

<p>

Here is an article about our last travel experiences: <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/webarticle19a.htm">To the Outer Hebrides</a>. (For the more technical side, read <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/webarticle18.htm">this</a>).

<p>

Wim

I can domgatically state (as folks like to do on forums) that I have found the ultimate travel camera to be the RZ 67, Hassy 500 series, the SWC, the Mamiya 7, a good 617..........

In other words, depends on the mood, the location, how long you'll be carrying the gear and over what terrain, and especially the type of images you are looking for.

Most of the cameras listed are fantastic choices.

Now, what if it were stipulated that you were travelling around the world over a 6 month period? With just one camera and one lens?

SWC or Mamiya 7.