Whats in store for Film Camera's?

mark45831

As someone living in a 3rd World country, surrounded by similar countries, I can tell you that in Central Asia it's all about digital. Photographers here tell me I don't know anything about photography, since I use film. Show 'em your Hasselblad and they say, "It's not a Canon Mark II DX SuperG 10 gig, now is it?" And film? Try $10/roll for Delta 100 in 35mm or 120. $6-8/roll for Kodak Gold 200, 35mm, 12 exposures. <p>

For printing, there's one lab in town (of 1.5 million) who does hand prints from color or B&W, any format up to 4x5", but it can take weeks - not because he's overwhelmed with business, he just works phenomenally slowly. There are a couple labs who can scan and print from 120 & 4x5, but they charge $5 for an untouched 120 scan (they don't even swipe the neg through a glove), $10 for a cleaned up and color-balanced scan, and $10 for an untouched 4x5 scan. The prints are gratifyingly cheap, though - I can get a 20x24 for about $20.

The vinyl analogy doesn't work. What has kept the vinyl lines running is servicing DJs. This is important as a marketing tool, since DJs reach an audience that is not reached through other channels with music that is not played through other channels. Without DJ servicing, there would be very little vinyl being manufactured, and with the ongoing improvement and increasing market penetration of CD players for DJs, it is likely that there will be little support left.

The reason CD sales is decreasing is that online sales and CD copying are eating up CD sales. It has absolutely nothing to do with vinyl - quite the opposite since there is more digital music than ever.

There is a ton of vinly produced for people other than DJs. A ton. It is a healthy growing

business, not because of the demise of CDs. But because it is different--how it sounds, how

you play it, how you look at it. I was just trying to say: there's a great number of people--

audiophiles, DJs, regular Joes--who get what analog playback is all about. It's simply

different--it's warmer, deeper and it's tactile. Just like film. It ain't digital. And as long as

there's that divide and people with a passion for it, then it'll be around. If you live near a

university or an art school give a listen to what the students are interested in--film cameras!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In Brasil (Natal) photography courses are geared to digital, but most people shoot 35mm. Prints from labs such as Suisse Color are generaly scanned. But to the average consumer, computers are very expensive, the middle class really can't afford one. There is no high speed internet available yet. I'm working in Egypt, the only digital cameras I see are tourists with big buck digitals and nice gadget vests:).

I'm am fortunate that I could afford a Canon Mark XXIIVX or whatever, but I just ordered a second C645 body, some extra film backs including a 220, a beater Contax 140mm, and my wife just got a backup G2 body and a 16mm used E+ 16mm Hologon. Using the G2, I shot a great pic at night on 3200 of a a tourist at Ponta Negra in Natal with a rental chick buying her beach trinkets. I was sitting directly in fronto of them with the G2, tey never even noticed. I haven't seen a digital that can quite do that, but yes, some are very close.

My dislike of digital is that I really dislike the boxes. Menues are for resturants, the sensors are not what I want at this point in time.

As my house in Brasil is tiny and without room for a dark room, I'm buying the house next door and turning it into a dark room. If he takes my offer, the house and a MF/LF darkroom will cost less then a Phase back.

In closing my pointless meanderings, photography is fun!