Tested: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 vs Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

nammyboy

Thanks!

The only suggestion I would make would be to arrange the layout so that the 100% crops are arranged side by side for the lenses at comparable apertures. That would make it a little more easy to compare the lenses, saving the trouble of having to scroll up and down repeatedly.

Nice work here. It's a helpful contribution to the on-going discussion between two excellent lenses. There is copy-to-copy variation for both lenses, however, and I know that my copies of the Sigma were as good or better than my Tamron copies at the long end, so again, this is a copy-dependant issue. Overall they are both excellent lenses, though I would say the build, AF speed, and 24mm wide are significant perks that the EX gives you. Again, nice job.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. I made the changes for the side-by-side comparisons. They're at the end of the crops, in their own links (since the pictures are rather large).

Also, if you note the title, the Sigma is the newer Macro version.

Jojo: your pictures with your old 24-70mm Sigma was the reason I decided to try it out in the first place. I think I'll stick with the Tamron though, just because it is lighter and quieter, and I don't really need the 24mm. Both of these lenses are so sharp, that decisions as to which lens to keep doesn't come down to sharpness. Any differences seem insignificant.

~Nam