GND filters

andy_van_eynde

Most GND filters are not neutral, especially cokin and tiffin which can have a definite magenta/greenish cast. Of those I've personally tested Hitech was the best overall as well as one of the least expensive. The key is to always test them first before using for an important shot. A 2 stop is a good start and a soft transition is safer as most landscapes are not perfectly flat.

I have two Singh-Ray GNDs: a 2-stop soft and a 3-stop hard. I find I use the 3-stop hard

much more frequently than the 2-stop soft. Even a 'hard' GND has a somewhat gradual

transition, so the image doesn't show a stark delineation from dark to light (the fact that

the filter is mounted immediately in front of the lens and very much out of the plane of

focus, even with wideangles, also softens the transition). If you intend to do most of your

work on scenes with extremely irregular horizons, a soft GND might be better.<P>

All of the images on <A HREF="http://biology.ucr.edu/personal/MACphotos/

easternSierra/sagebrushsunsets.html">this page</a> were taken with a 3-stop hard

GND, and it usually worked OK despite somewhat mountainous horizons. In the one at

upper right, you can see a darkening of the hill, however.

The focal length of your lens and f-stop also affect the amount of gradation you get. Another important consideration is if you are using print film, slide film, color, black & white, and digital will all respond to filters differently. Since you don't specify in the original post what you're using, it's hard to tell you if a 2-stop will be appropriate for the goals you have. But a 2-stop is a sort of "middle of the road" filter that can be fairly effective over a wider range of media.

There is a lot of information on the web about filter technique but I can understand your confusion. The main thing is NOT to buy a circular screw-on gradated ND filter, because you want to be able to move the gradation up or down and not have it always lie exactly in the middle of the composition. In my opinion, it's better to get the square or rectangular grads -- along with a filter holder with adapter rings -- so you can slide the filters higher or lower, depending on where you want to place the horizon in your photo.

Mike is right -- most grads are not exactly neutral. He's also right about testing things -- that way there are no (or fewer) surprises.

Good luck!

try www.2filter.com. I've used them a couple times and I've been very happy with the service on both occaisions. I'm not sure if they have the top end singh-ray filters, but they have all the HiTech filters you could ask for. From what i've heard, HiTech are a great value for money - reasonably priced with good results.

hope this helps. you'll be very glad once you start using the filters.

andrew

That's what I did (what Andrew said) - at 2filter.com they have a package deal where you get a Cokin filter holder, one adapter, and your choice of one Hi-Tech grad for about $55. On advice from folks on this forum I chose one of the 2-stop (0.6 ND) grads - the soft version to be specific. I'm wondering now if the 2-stop hard might have been a better choice as the soft seems almost TOO soft. But then again I'm saying that without having actually used it yet; just playing around with it, so who knows? It doesn't really matter since eventually I will probably end up with a set of grads. Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with this offer. Good luck.

Jeff