Worn Hasselblad Lens Markings

john_deduk

I have an older Hasselblad 500c. The lens markings have worn off from

prior use. Some of the shutter speeds are unreadable. Any suggestions

as far as re-labeling the lens so that the markings are readable.

Does anyone make a label or ring which would fit on the lens barrel ?

Does anyone know if there might be a repair center which might re-

paint the numbers, etc.

Thanks.

One thing you can try -

Print off a scale on a laserjet printer, laminate it with tape, and put double-sided tape on the back side, and stick it to the lens. If you use Powerpoint, you can place the numbers to close to where you want it to match the scale, use different fonts and sizes, etc.

The lens does not have engraving, so the lacquer-stick suggestion won't work.

regards

Vick

But they spent so much on the glass that they ran out of money to do the engraving....

seriously though, I have alens with a similar problem, though only on the EV scale part, which I don't understand anyway so it's not an issue. My point is that my lens is so old and battered anyway it has probably already taken 6,000,000 rolls of film before I saw it. It was made in about 1683 and still works. Bar the paint problem.

John's lens must be a real veteran warhorse.

Maybe they just think the pro market will sell and buy a new one before that is a problem.

(It remains a valid point though)

John,

On the older chrome lenses, there were two versions of the ring with the shutter speeds. The original version had the shutter speeds engraved into the ring. On the later version, the shutter speeds were painted on a thin strip of aluminum that fastened to the lens ring with 2 small screws. Because you said that your shutter speed markings have worn off, I assume that you have the version with the thin aluminum band that is held onto the lens ring with the 2 small screws.

Although this part is no longer available, I do have some used shutter speed bands in very good condition, and would be willing to sell one to you.

If you are interested, please e-mail me at: hblad1@comcast.net.

You would need to verify that the band you have is the version that is held on by the 2 small screws, and tell me which lens you have. Is it an 80mm?

David Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

www.david-odess.com