seller came down to 850 so I went to pick it up today. I fired off a

roll of film and took to Walgreens. No major issues other than the

stiff focus and stiff film advance as mentioned in the previous

thread.

I'm gonna shoot with it for a couple weeks before I send off for a

CLA.

I think I truly may have the jackpot. serial# for the camera is

1155xxx which cameraquest puts circa 1966 and the lens is 1945xxx

which KBCamera lists as being manufactured in 1962.

I have some questions about the lens. It appears to have 43mm

threads. What is the correct hood and lens cap? also I recall an

aftermarket hood that screws in the filter ring. anybody have the

name of the ebay seller for those? What version lens is it? I'm

only asking in case it is some ultra-rare version that I can sell for

a tidy profit.

As far as CLA goes I have heard of two guys in LA area. Stephen Choi

and someone in Pasadena. Oculus I'll e-mail you for name.

Next order of business is to sell the M2/50DR/ and maybe the current

50 'cron. I hope to keep the M6/35asph combo along with the new

M3/50lux.

Any info on local cla or the lens items would be appreciated.

Peter, it all depends on whether one values quality of construction over features - in this case a built-in meter and another frame line or two. There have certainly been more quality issues with the M6 than there were with the M2. We all have our preferences and I'm sure that Anthony has his.

"Remember Anthony, the 35mm will not work on the M3 without a viewfinder. You are limiting the interchangeability." <P> I used 35mm lenses on an M3 for years. There is no 35mm frame in the M3 but the whole VF field is "close enough for government work". No use hanging additional impedimenta on the camera unless you are a stickler for exact conformance to the 2:3 format! The only limit to interchangeability with a M3 is whether the lens has a Leica bayonet mount or will accept a proper adapter. <p> Recommend avoiding screw-in shades. A blow to the shade will foul the threads on the lens bezel. Leica made several clip on shades which will break-away under stress. A rectangular shade will afford better flare protection than a round one which if adequate in depth will vignette at the corners.

"There have certainly been more quality issues with the M6 than there were with the M2."

There are more <i>publicly reported</i> QC issues with the M6. I attribute this to the fact that a lot more new M6s than new M2s have been purchased since the advent of the internet. Unless it had just been CLA'd by DAG or Sherry or someone equivalent, including recementing of the finder prism, I wouldn't stake my life on an M2 being more reliable now than an M6. If you're comparing workmanship and finesse, I might agree, the M6 is a little rougher and probably simplified mechanically to a little degree, but that's stuff for collectors to argue over single malt scotch. Someone who just wants a camera to take pictures with would be smarter to consider more practical matters, but like you said, to each his own.

Anthony,

Congratulations,

You did well! You have the best M made, and it is very late in the total M3 production run. If and when the time comes, you should have no problem recovering you investment on the body should you choose to, given minimal TLC.

As noted in previous posts, the 50 LUX is the second version optically, which the purists say is much better than the first.

Some good and bad news on the filter and lens cap. The 43mm Leitz UVas are kind of hard to find, but pop up now and that 'auction site'.

About 50 bucks or better. Not a bad investment, as your lens (or any Leitz lens from that era) has soft coatings. I have them on all my old lenses.

RE the correct lens cap, I actually bought one before I bought my lens, in anticipation of one not being available when I did find a lens to buy. Sure enough, the lens I ultimately did buy, had one!

I've got the extra laying around in a drawer some place. If you're interested in it, let me know.

Best,

Jerry

Ned---I'm not too concerned about interchangeability. I keep the M6 setup I have for weekend excurions, vacations, etc. The kit consists of 35asph/ 50 cron/ and a 90 2.8 tele-elmarit. The M2 and now the new M3 are for take anywhere and everywhere/ backup. If the M6 goes down I can guestimate the 35 FOV if I put it on the M3. Most likely though, if the M6 went kaput, I'd just use the 50 on the M3.

John---I won't sell the M6 as it is the most modern body I have. I am well aware the M3/M2 may have been better made, but the amount of years and miles on the M6 are far less. I also like having a meter and am admitedly vain in that I like keeping my newish black lenses on a newish black body. I would never think of mounting my current 'cron on the M2 or the new-old lux on the M6. It'd be like seeing some 20something stud smooching on a 60something lady. EEwwww! It can be done and is perfectly legal of course, but it still seems unnatural.

Dan---thanks for the advice on clip-on shades. Next ebay mission.

Thomas---DAG is my choice for sure if the local talent doesn't pan out.

Now for the pics.<div>00EjHD-27291484.jpg.6af1cdc0c4fc86fa4c2c2ae1baa15160.jpg</div>