Joe McDonald's Workshops?

rob_sheneman

I'm considering taking one of Joe & Mary McDonald's nature photo workshops. Does anyone have experience with them? I'm looking at one of their week-long sessions in central PA, NOT a photo tour or safari.

<p>

As background, I've been shooting as an amateur for about 15 years now. Selling some work on occasion, but mostly as a hobby. Mostly nature and sports. Lots of macro scenics, etc. but not much wildlife. I'm working in that direction and would like to learn from some "experts."

<p>

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Last month, I ran into the McDonalds in Florida during a photo trip.

Joe was interested in my wife's camcorder and we had a short conversation. At the time I didn't recognize that they were Joe and

Mary Ann as Joe had white sun-block all over his face. They seem to be

very nice people. Later on, suddenly I realized that they were the

McDonalds and confirmed it with participants in their photo group.

<p>

I am quite impressed by Joe McDonalds' books, especially the one on

safari photography. Their web site provides a lot of good info. I would imagine that their workshop is well done.

Rob: I can't say from personal experience, but have heard from one other who took the PA course... High marks! I'm attending the first session this coming summer... and last weekend was with Arthur Morris on one of his workshops. Another participant had tried to attend the McDonald's workshop last year but it was full. And Art Morris gave it a big thumbs up, based on his discussions with people who went.

Soooo... I'd say go for it. By the way, the first two week-long sessions are filled, and they've opened one more in the middle of August.

Good luck!

Go for it....if they are not completely booked up, they often are. I took the Complete Nature Photgraphy workshop in '94 and it was the best thing I have ever done for my photography. I have since done several other things with them and each has been a positive learning experience. Both Joe and Mary Ann are excellent teachers, very outgoing and generous with their knowledge. The one week nature photography course is quite intense....early morning to late evening with never a dull moment. I am sure that you would not be disappointed, and feel certain that you will want to do more with them after the initial course. (I am returning to Kenya with them for the third time this year.) ----- Another plus ---- central Pennsylvania is lovely and participants stay at a great far, with wonderful food!

• 4 months later...

I took Joe and MaryAnn's Complete Nature Photo course last summer and it was absolutley terrific! They are both warm, friendly and knowledgeable and share their knowledge with wit and enthusiasm. I learned more in their class in a week than I thought I possible, and can honestly say I left a markedly better photographer than when I arrived. The days are long with shooting sessions and classroom sessions...and we WORKED! But the atmosphere was congenial and the shooting assignments were designed to bring forth your individual creativity and to be lots of fun. The classroom sessions were interesting and packed with information and Joe makes frequent use of slides (both his and classmembers) during his lectures. I could go on and on (have I already?) but I guess the best endorsement I could give for his courses is that I'm planning on taking his Advanced Nature course next summer. I had wanted to take it this summer but he didn't receive enough interest in it to warrant holding that class this summer...darn!

Anyway if you, or anyone else for that matter would like further info on the MacDonalds' Complete Nature Photo course from a former student feel free to drop me an email and I'll give you as much information as I can.

Good Luck Rob!

• 1 month later...
Just a short follow-up note... I attended Joe & Mary Ann's last session of the Complete Nature Photo Course. It was absolutley great! I'd describe it more as photography boot camp! We were at it from before dawn 'til late at night...and enjoyed every moment of it. Joe and Mary Ann are wonderful hosts and fine teachers. If you're looking for a thorough learning experience, I wholeheartedly endorse their class! Nearly half of our group is considering attending the Advanced class next summer.

• 1 year later...
I took Joe & Mary Ann McDonald's Complete Nature Photography course June 2000. It would be impossible for me to say all the good things about them and their course in the short space appropriate in this forum. They are both world-class people who do a world-class workshop, covering techniques and ideas I've yet to find covered in books. The last time I worked so hard so long in such a short period was in military boot camp, only this time I enjoyed the intensity immensely. If you can get into a workshop, or for that matter, anything, with them, DO IT.