switching heads or eyes in photoshop.

glenn_owens1

I have no experience with photoshop,so this might be a SILLY

question. Do any of you switch heads in formal group shots to

produce the best picture? I know a portrait guy that does it but i

wasnt sure if it can be done well enough so no one knows? Another way

of asking this is, if you take 3 pictures of the same group,same pose

and then clip and paste the best smiles or eyes?

I have a lot of experience with this, I will add that entire heads usually swap out with better results, unless you have an exact match to the head angle the eyes might look strange unless its exactly the same. Heads are much faster to do also.

Another tip is not to not get to fine cutting it out, you can often hide the cut using more background and hide the paste line a bit further "outside the lines". Our eyes naturally seek out those hard edges first - the hunter gatherer in all of us.

Some see this as an ethical dilema. I personally do not see it that way.

However, I try not to spend much time with it. Easier to swap out a face than a head. Sometimes add catch-light to eyes. A little nip-n'tuck here and there. Basic facial touch-ups. Whiten teeth. No worries.

Taking out braces is extra.

hi Glenn,

I've done it before during portrait shoots. Usually I only need to do it for families with young, wriggly kids -- when everyone else looks nice, one kid is not smiling. I will take that kid's head with a smile from another picture and paste it into my "almost good" family picture. I've done this a few times without being asked, just because I felt obligated to provide a nice family picture since I was getting paid.

I can only do this when there was minimal movement from frame to frame, otherwise the skew is off and I am not able/willing to correct that in PS. I usually do a whole head rather than eyes. It might sound strange, but it's easier. If I do it right, nobody can tell it was done, even when the pic is blown up! Again, having the original and replacement head in nearly the same position/size is critical to success on this.

I don't like having to do this, b/c it takes time, but I don't consider it cheating or unethical or anything like that. Usually my goal is to get the client the best possible picture!

JenStar

David, great job removing the parents! I can't even fathom why she would do that, but you did a great job of it. I like the way you matched the pants and head shadow that suddenly had to appear. It looks very natural - I never would have known (at least at this size.)

How long did that take you to get it right?

For me, doing a simple head replacement takes about 20-30 minutes. I imagine that your parent-removal took a lot more time?

thanks,

Jennifer

Dale Bergestrom is right on---swap complete heads---a very slight head tilt up or down or sideways make swapping only face parts appear non-believable. If the face is from a different grouping and the head size is much larger, transform the head to fit using eye catchlights to get close to the correct size. Minor tweaking of size may be needed to complete the illusion of reality. Also, check skin color and contrast to closely match the original. With practice you can nail it consistently.

Thanks Jenn....I did that just over a year ago and it took about 30 minutes or so. I've gotten alot faster with PS and could do it now with about 15 minutes or so. I can swap out eyes in about 2-3 minutes.

There's always a story behind any request like this....weddings tend to bring out the best & the worst in families :-)

In addition to what's already been written, don't bring up with the customer the fact that you changed anything. Because they will then be looking for evidence and you'd be amazed at what they come up with! I learned that lesson when I did a family portrait a few years back and did some head swapping. They knew that I did such stuff and told me "John's eye's are crooked." I informed them that I hadn't done anything with John's eyes! They never did figure out what I did. Just let them assume you amazingly caught them all at their best.

Interesting shot, Dave. Did you move the entire group up and to the left before removing the parents? The shot without the parents looks like its shot at an entirely different angle. Quite a piece of work. That's more PS than I would care to tackle.

I've moved heads and I've moved eyes, when necessary, but I like to take about three shots of each pose and hope that one will be satisfactory. But it is nice to be able to re-do those once-in-a-lifetime moments that never happened. Cheers.

Interesting Barry - Not only is it a different perspective/angle on Dave's shot horizontally but vertically as well and the little girl's dress on the right is different the way it lays creased in on one and just touching on the other - no ferns coming out of the heads and the windows are a different level. There is flash on the bench behind them on one and not on the other. Must be a different background and a grouping from another photo as well.

I'm curious as to how this was done.

Well what is the need for photography anymore, just become a photoshop technician...In my past I would not even crop, it had to be exact composition as I shot it. Is there any purist kind of ethic or aesthetic in photography? Maybe not, take a crap picture and photoshop it, no more skill in photography I dare say and y'all can argue this but I believe now it takes not so much to be a shooter as long as it can be FAKED in photoshop.

Nothing wrong with results, photoshop, altering images, etc...but I think there needs to be a redefining of the medium of photography. It literally requires little skill of its own anymore. Images can be completely fixed, altered, changed, rebuilt, etc. with photoshop. Maybe large format shooters scoffed when 35mm came along and expressed similar sentiments. I am just wondering if there is any criteria for photography as a true discipline, maybe it was never a "pure" art form to begin with, painters use to not think so. Maybe photography lends itself to be a completely changing form and it never was near the ethics of a classic art because it is so changable and relies on technology and we all know the very essence of technology seems to be rapid change.

I honestly don't rememebr the exact steps I took since I did the PS work during Novemeber of 2004 but I had plenty of formals to play with. They key switch involved a bridal party shot which explains why the guy in the back row right now has a tuxedo instead of the blue shirt/sport coat jacket. In the original shot I also cloned out the backs of the pews on both sides of the foreground.

<i>"I am just wondering if there is any criteria for photography as a true discipline, maybe it was never a "pure" art form to begin with, painters use to not think so."</i><p>

On my very first professional photography seminar I attended a seminar by one of the UK's top portrait photographers (mid '80s), he gave a great talk about retouching techniques, both in the darkroom and work done on prints. And look at images in magazines, images are rarely published "as shot". It's not a digital phenomenon, it's always been done.<p> Personally I find that I spend very little time retouching images, the question is: Do I have lower standards for the final product OR Am I just better at nailing it first time OR Am I just lazy?<p>

The fact is that we all have different techniques, standards, client bases etc.