Backpack Recommendation

shao_zhang

Hi,

I am a keen amature and looking for a general purpose backpack for

travelling and hiking. The backpack should be able to carry a camera

body, at least two lenses and a flash(sb600). It would be perfect if

it can attach a tripod.

The closest one I can find so far is the Lowepro Orion Trekker II.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Orion_Trekker_II.aspx

What is your experience with this bag or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shao.

You sure you need a backpack? Does not sound like you have much gear to carry. Be aware shooting from a backpack is a slow process. Unclip the harness, lay it on the wet/muddy/sand/snow, get the camera out,

unlash the tripod, attach the camera, then your ready...Then repeat the process to store it all and do it again. Careful in sandy conditions, I have seen folks I shoot with dump a pile of sand into the bag just flipping the top closed. Frustrated with backpacks I got a Tamrac bag that was compact and had both a hidden waist belt and comfortable padded shoulder strap. I used both at the same time. I could slide my bag from my side to the front and pull anything out in seconds ready to shoot. Tripod on a strap on the other shoulder to balance the load. Never set it down at all and it gave me a working platform to change film, etc right in front of me. This worked well for sports too when moving on the sidelines. Have hiked as much as 8

miles this way, no problem. Just my opinion.

I agree with the poster about the awkwardness of a backpack. I use the Tamrac Velocity 7 Slingpack. It holds my EOS-20D with one lens attached, and room for a 2nd zoom. I normally carry a Canon EF-S 17-85 and a Canon EF 28-200.

You won't get a flash in there. However, the Velocity 9 is quite a bit roomier and would hold a flash or a larger prime or zoom lens.

The advantage of the "slingpack" style is you wear it over one shoulder but it slings around easily to the front. You then just pop open the top and remove/replace equipment as needed.

I agree with the others. IF that's all you're going to carry, a shoulder bag works best, although the tripod wuld be a bit awkward.

IF you must have a backpack, then carrying the tripod becomes easier, since a lot of backpacks have integrated tripod carriers.

I would recommend the Lowepro Micro 200, or if you want something a little bigger, thne the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW.

As with most bags/backpacks, however, the best way to get a good fit is to go to a store and try it out, if you have the opportunity.

KL

I have a Nature Trekker AW and two different sized Lowe Pro belt bags I rotate among...it all depends on the intent of the trip. If it's a short--dedicated photography hike, I'll take the back pack with the intent it will also hold food...water...etc. If I'm primarily out for a long climb, I'll place a lite camera/lens kit in the small beltbag and wear it with the pack to my front so I can still wear my larger mountaineering pack and access my camera/lenses without having to completely unload. My large beltpack with shoulder strap gets used the most...I just swing it around to get at my gear. The thing about a backpack is that it gets old having to take it off everytime you need to access it...I find they're best when the intent is to haul a lot of stuff to a specific place; such as a hike to an outlook to photograph a sunset...etc.

Depends on how much you want to spend and how fancy you want to get. I use a tamrac expedition series, I payed around $150 online. It has enough space for a MF camera, 35mm camera 2 lenses, rolls of film, filters, cable, manuals and a tripod strap. Bag is strong and it has been thro miles of treckking in utah, california, and colorado, thro heat and thro ice. I bought a cheap plastic cover to cover it in rain.

I went through same thinking recently before buying a camera backpack. I ended up buying naneu pro, Alpha Military backpack (www.naneupro.com). This one is a day pack, where you can have camera, several lenses and upper compartment you can carry a snack or other things. This backpack would not allow you to access camera very quickly though, as pointed in an earlier post. It has a cancelable tripod pouch on the side, adjustable sternum strap, front pockets and also an adjustable waist strap. After removing camera insert in the bottom compartment it can be used as a regular backpack.

I have the Orion AW which is somewhat similar in style to the Orion Trekker, with an upper daypack and a lower beltpack. The AW designation means it has a rainproof cover for the camera compartment. The lower bag is big enough for the gear you mention, but not much more. It would be very tight to fit an 80-200mm or something of that size. The upper compartment is big enough for day hiking but not overnight trips--it will accomodate a jacket, map, lunch, water bottles, etc.

It is fairly easy to access the camera gear without taking off the pack because the lower compartment can detach from the upper and swing around the waist. I often use the lower bag as just a simple camera bag because there is a shoulder strap you can use instead of the waist belt.

It is possible to attach a tripod on the bottom of the Orion AW but I never do that because it is awkward. I just carry the tripod over my shoulder or take a bigger backpack to carry more gear including the tripod. The suspension system of the Orion AW is fairly comfortable for extended hikes.

If I am just walking around taking photos for a few hours, sometimes I wear a photo vest which keeps all my camera gear very available--it is more convenient than the Orion and it can hold more camera gear. A small day pack, such as the top compartment of the Orion AW, can then carry water bottles, etc.

In summary, I like the convenience of the Orion AW but I often find it isn't big enough.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am aware of the inconvinces of the backpack. But I really need a bag that not just carries camera equipment only.

The Tamrac "Slingpack" sounds very interesting to me. I have never seen it in HK here. If it has room to carry additional items besides camera equipment, then I would definitely consider it.

The Orion AW looks to fit my needs as well. With the detachable lower half, the access should be a lot easier than the normal backpacks. I will try this bag out in the store first.

Hi Shao,

I have the lowepro orion 2. I bought one shortly before I went away on holiday and found it a good bag. Its comfortable, will hold the items you mentioned and has enough room in the top for a few small items , such as guide book, drink,snacks,etc

I have a review on cambags.com in the nikon d70 area.

http://www.cambags.com