300mm 2.8L (non-IS) Mark I/II/III differences?

ian_hobday

I'm looking at Canon EF 300mm 2.8L non-IS lenses, and have seen that

there are three versions of this lens, Mark I, II, and III. I've

searched Google but have not had any luck in finding the differences

between these different editions.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me, especially any differences

in the optics? Is any one of them much better than the others?

Thanks in advance!

This is the first time I have heard of there being multiple versions of the EF 300/2.8. What is the source of that information? The only non-IS Big White Lens that I was aware came in more than one version (specifically, two) was the 400/2.8, where the II version had a new and significantly improved optical design.

First, a caveat: I have never used this lens. The only reason I am responding is that I wondered the same thing based on listings on KEH.com. They list the 300/2.8 non-IS as having either a gel filter holder or a 48mm drop-in. Which is it? Or both?

The joy of time differences, I've been sleeping the last few hours. Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are at least two versions of the lens, but I am not sure if they differed optically or not. The tripod mount and the trunk case changed, but I am not sure what else. I have seen them for sale here (Osaka) marked as "I" and "III", but never as "II".

The 200/1.8L had two versions with the second one being labeled II by Canon. As far as I know they were optically identical with a few cosmetic changes to the lens barrel and a different lens trunk. (You can see a photo of an original Canon box for the II version here: http://hobday.net/ebay/200_18/sn16480/ The II is blocked on the front of the box, but if you look at the top you can see it says "EF 200mm f/1.8L set II").

Thanks again for the replies. Any further info would also be appreciated!

Larry Hample wrote: "They list the 300/2.8 non-IS as having either a gel filter holder or a 48mm drop-in. Which is it? Or both?"

Actually these are the same. There are three different drop-in units for these lenses:

1. The original drop-in gel filter holder that comes with them.

2. A drop-in screw-type filter holder that you can screw standard 48mm filters into.

3. A drop-in circular polarizer.

The newer IS lenses are the same as far as I know, except they use a larger 52mm size instead of the 48mm size in the 200/1.8 and non-IS versions of the longer lenses.

Ian

Ian, I notice that there is no 'II' on the 200/1.8 lens itself, which suggests that it may be 'set II' only because some of the other bits and pieces (lens trunk, tripod mount) have changed, and the lens is unchanged. Could this be the explanation for the 300/2.8, perhaps? At a more down-market level, there are certainly several slightly different versions (apart from colour) of the current puzzle-type tripod ring.