from what period is this super ikonta?

j_h

hi csab' józsa...

it is not the camera on marktplaats ( so go for it) and thanks for your information, i am specially interested in the period in wich the 531/2 camera's were fitted with the 'jena' glass, is this around 1950 or in a earlier period??

The 531/2 with f/3.5 Tessar went into production in 1938.

Super Ikontas were fitted with Jena lenses before WWII. After the war, the Super Ikontas became West German products and were cut off from the Jena optical works in East Germany. This did not happen instantly, and there was some cooperation between East and West up until about 1950. I don't know if there are any postwar Jena lenses on Super Ikontas. A lens produced after the war would be coated. A coated lens would be identified by a red T engraved on the lens ID ring, and the glass will have a blue-violet appearance as opposed to the colorless silver-grey reflections of an uncoated lens.

Hope this helps you pin it down....

I have a feeling this is a prewar camera but can you post the serial number of both body and lens? A Jena lens less than 3,000,000 is generally prewar or wartime production. 2,300,000 is about 1938, though a slightly older lens may have found its way to your body in the factory.

hi richard and mike, both thanks for your information, the lensnumber is 2282493 and not coated, is this a collectorscamera or is it stll capable to work with it, (price of the camera 250 euro, as new and cla)

as soon as it works, it IS a good camera to use! uncoated tessars are still very good lenses to use, especially if you can find a fitting lens hood for it. Or just shade it w your hand from oblique light. The shutter is also a very good type.

You will have to change film quite often, though.

The lens number makes it a pre-war or war-time camera, post war Zeiss Jena lens numbers start with 3.000.000. There are post war West German Super Ikontas with (coated) Zeiss Jena Tessar (T) lenses; I own one, but it's one of the small ones (4,5x6cm), made 1949 AFAIK. They stopped the East-West cooperation in the very early 50's.

I would say early '38 with that body number, if that's the year it was introduced. Some on the ZICG on yahoogroups could probably nail down the G-series serial to within a few months.

I have a 1938 Ikonta 521/16 (for sale here actually) that is a very nice shooter with the uncoated Tessar 75/3.5 and Compur Rapid shutter without flash synchronization. If you search the board or locate the FS ad, I linked to some photos I've taken and scanned for the internet. The 6x9 will be at least as good :)

I now also have a 6x6 Super Ikonta 532/16 while having a Tessar 80/2.8 of the postwar Zeiss Opton type, is uncoated and likely assembled from prewar/wartime Jena lens elements. Compur Rapid shutter is X-synchronized.

Mike Elek (no longer with us here) has a 530/2 Super Ikonta that he has made some super photos with. Its basically the same camera and lens (older) without double exposure prevention. Check the archives and google.

Rick, concerning the cooperation between Zeiss-west and Zeiss-east: actually Zeiss-West listed some east german Contax rangefinder lenses in their early catalogues. Some batches of Rolleiflexes were equipped with east German Zeiss lenses, but I have never heard of any Zeiss west fixed lens camera equipped with east german lenses.

Hi Winfried:

My Contax IIa user's manual shows coated Jena lenses on the cameras in all of its photos. I like these occasional signs of cooperation between the Zeiss groups in the early postwar years... I'm sure that was a trying and chaotic period when the companies themselves were not at all clear as to what their relationship was.