areas and mind the fine dust particles constantly floating in the

air, what would you recommend for routine maintenance and cleaning

while in the desert? Is there a case I can buy that will keep sand

and dust out while in storage (nothing to big, bulky or heavy like a

starlight case). I'm in Tal-Afar, and although the dust from the

desert still makes its way into the city, I'll primarily be spending

my time in an urban environment. Any and all recommendations are

welcome.

ZIP LOCK bags, FREEZER type (Heavy plastic), works for me.

Heck, seal enough air in it and it might even float. I use them when I go out on my boat. They're cheap, easy to to store, and they really work.

Two Gallon size would probably take a camera AND lens. Stick the lens out the slot and take a picture through the bag, if conditions are bad enough.

Just keep it all out of sight and locked up when you're not around.

Things grow legs in The Army, been there , seen that.

Ed, how about one of the smaller waterproof Pelican cases for storage? If you limit yourself to the camera and one or two lenses, you should be able to get one that won't increase your load too much. Gary's Zip-loc idea is good when shooting.

Also, I usually don't advise this, but in your extreme conditions, think about keeping a UV filter on the lens. That will prevent sand from scouring your lens coating.

Last piece of advice is something you already know: Keep your head down, and watch your six.....

Bill

PS: If you post any shots, let us know where, OK?

I lugged mine thru India. I found that it stood up well to the dust considering. I avoided changing lenses and tried to clean it regularly, but didn't go wiping dust off the lens every 2 mins, just once a day or at times a few days apart!

A. Lens dust doesn't make for bad photos if your not aiming at the sun.

B. Lens dust comes back so quick, you'll relax about it quickly enough.

I just kept mine in a cheap indian side bag. But I will say, a good powerful air blower did save me. When you do clean the camera, you do want to get dif of as much dust as possible form all areas.

Most of my India shots in my profile were probably done with a fairlyu dusty lens.

Good luck.

Bring a large blower bulb, like a Rocket Air, or to save a few bucks, an ear syring from the drug store. Use that to blow any dust off the lenses and sensor. When cleaning the sensor, make sure to have the "hole" pointing down, so dust falls out.

You'll have less problems with dust getting in the lens with either prime lenses or zoom lenses that don't extend in and out.

Good luck, and be as safe as possible. If you don't mind sharing some picks when you get back to the world, it'll be great to get a soldier's perspective of what's going on over there.

P.S. I'm one of them "Support Our Troops, Bring Them Home" liberals, so sorry to see you go and take care out there.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. Yeah, I could use all the well-wishing and support I can yet. It's always appreciated. We had got into some pretty ugly fights in that city. I got shot back in June and spent about a month in Qatar recovering. Seen a lot of good Soldiers get hurt and lost some really good friends there too. Anyways, does anyone have any experience with the AquaTech shields designed specifically for adverse conditions? I planned on only bringing my 16-35L (sealed) and 80-200L (not sealed, but too sharp of a telephoto zoom to leave at home). I'm leaving my Leica glass at home. I might possibly consider bringing my 50 1.4 to cover the gap, but I'm not taking more than 3 lenses.

Ed,

The main thing you need to worry about is your batteries, they will fail incredibly quickly in the desert heat. A good mate of mine is stationed in Basra and he has to have new batteries mailed to him every other week. The 20D batteries just seem to stop being able to function and/or take charge, it's one of his main complaints - that and getting a 5.56 shell casing embedded in the front of his 50 f/1.8.

Hope you keep safe over there and manage to keep your batteries working.

^^^ Yeah, I thought about just bringing along my old canon AE-1 and 50 1.8 and not worry too much about beating it up. I got rid of most of my film gear already. However, the digital age has spoiled me. I love the instant gratification of digital cameras. Gotta love that trash can button. :)

Frankly, having a couple of digital units, I agree fully with Mr. Turk's idea above, but..since you have this unit I would recommend something that might be a big help. Go to Costco, or Sam's club or a similar store and buy a six-pack beer cooler case with some thermal insulation and sealing. (Almost looks like a camera bag). This bag will protect the camera against temp extremes AND will keep some of the dust away as well.

I don't know if this will give you a heart attack or not, but I met a photo journalist up here in Tikrit who had all her 20D's sealed up with something like duck tape, with little trap doors for occasionally used bottons, only leaving a few things exposed. I don't think it was exactly duck tape(after the first hot day it would be a gnarly sticky mess... and possibly ruined), but she'd been in-country humpin around for a couple of months and everything was fine. This is probably a bad idea, but maybe you can adapt it to something that works for you.

My EOS is dying a horrible death, with two lenses already in the trash can and three more heading that way! Ha, ha, ha, haaa... this damn place kills everything. On the good side I've gotten tons of good pictures, so in the long run it's probably worth it.

We rotate out in a month or so, I hope you guys do too and get back '5 by 5'.

Take care.

Might have been gaffer tape (doesn't leave a residue) but surely not duct tape (originally

made for sealing ducts). The heavy plastic bag sounds like a good precaution for when

you're not using it, and the Rocket blower is a good accessory to blow out any dust that

gets in. A Lenspen would be a useful addition to safely brush the dust off the lenses,

body, mount, viewfinder, dials, buttons etc before you put it back in the plastic bag after

use. A sensor cleaning brush could also be a useful thing to take along for those bits that

the Rocket blower can't get off the sensor.

Thanks again for all the continued great advice. I went out and purchased a Kata E-702 Elements Cover for taking those occaisional shots. I must admit that the "EOS dying and 2 lenses trashed" statement kinda worries me a little. I guess you've been really getting out there and getting those shots! As I stated in an earlier post, I won't have much time to shoot any of the action. My pics will be restricted more or less to Soldiers just hanging out on their down time. I guess I'll have to be extra careful still. I'll also consider reinforcing it with that tape idea as well. The camera will definately be stored and locked in a sealed container when not in use. You guys have been great.

Seems to me ,Ed, if you get shot and manage to get home you've given enough to be able to stay there. If you have more time, pushing paper seems appropriate, on the home side.

Anyway, have you thought about a P&S? I have a 750Z pentax that does everything except boil water. Fits right in my pocket and takes great pictures. I'm sure a powershot Canon could do the same. I know it's hard to leave the 20D behind, I love mine. Best.<div>00Dx4e-26193484.jpg.de8ad794159dc2eea63fa1e56883e356.jpg</div>

Hey Ed,

I am over at Tikrit and I had my 10D here until I went home on R&R. I kept mine in a small Pelican case with the pluck-out foam and it made it just fine. I think it was the model 1200 and will fit easily in a small backpack or ruck. I left the good glass at home and used a 50/1.8 and 28-105 zoom.

Rob

Well, after careful consideration and investing in some protective measures, I've decided to leave my 20D at home. I really do love the camera and will definately miss it. I've decided to take my venerable old Canon AE-1 with my original 50 1.8 lens. I remember what happened to my Canon s200 PowerShot during my first tour in 2003. No matter what I tried to do to maintain it, the dust and elements eventually had its way with it and it eventually died. I've invested way too much money in accessories and glass, and as everyone knows, we Soldiers don't make a whole hell of a lot of money to begin with. I don't think that buying the Kata E-702 is by no means a bad investment. I'm sure I'll find some use for it during outdoor excursions or sporting events. I'd like to thank all of you for your very sound advice though.

"Hey Ed,

I am over at Tikrit and I had my 10D here until I went home on R&R. I kept mine in a small Pelican case with the pluck-out foam and it made it just fine. I think it was the model 1200 and will fit easily in a small backpack or ruck. I left the good glass at home and used a 50/1.8 and 28-105 zoom."

Rob

Hey, Rob. Didn't notice your post. After reading it I may reconsider. I didn't really think about investing in a less expensive zoom like the 28-105. If your 10D made it out okay, I guess I can maintain my 20D for 4 more months. It's getting much cooler in Iraq and the dust is pretty much settling from what my people have told me. I've also discovered this wonderful tape known as "Xtreme Tape" that I'm looking into. I guess wrapping the camera and lens with extreme tape, shooting with the Kata E-702 elements cover and storing it in zip locks bags inside a pelican case should be sufficient.