Buying from KEH

I have purchased a few things from KEH in the past and have always

found their ratings to be conservative. My question now is, if I

buy a screw-mount Leica from them, rated excellent or better, should

I expect that it will need a CLA or can I use it right out of the

box?

Thanks,

Peter Schauss

I bought a 100mm Planar from KEH. The 1/500 speed didn't work right. I sent it back for repair. They returned it in perfect working condition. While it may not be a Sherry Krauter or DAG CLA, I know they will at least make sure that your Leica is in good working condition if it turns out to need attention.

KEH is an excellent store that I would buy without fear, including Leica screwmount equipment, which they do not include in their "collectible" section which does have items listed that do not, or may not, work correctly.

They are very conservative based on what I have bought, but when it comes to second-hand equipment, just beware something that old bought from anyone is subject to maybe someone missing a flaw. Test it thouroughly during the 14 day period they give for people to verify all is sound and do all the typical Leica SM tests. Try several rolls and look at spacing & to see if there's any light leaks and to verify your negatives aren't subject to any scratching. Make sure the rangefinder image is strong and lined up properly, make sure all the lower speeds run evenly, and make a few exposures at the top speed to verify it's opening correctly.

I'll second the above comments about KEH. Their conservative ratings pertain mostly to cosmetic condition. Their prices are higher than flebay or photo.net, but the 14 day return and 60 day warranty are good. I've bought several items that were graded properly from a cosmetic perspective, but did not function to specification. First, a Canon 7 screwmount camera (condition: EX) with sticking slow shutter speeds (returned for repair, they eventually refunded the purchase price); a 90mm Elmarit-M lens (condition: EX+) that had stuff focus (I stupidly did not test adequately within 60 days, sent to Sherry Krauter at my expense. Sherry was not able to disassemble the lens due to damage. She was able to help some with stiff focus, but indicated for proper repair the lens would have to be sent to Leica Germany). Bottom line: test the camera thoroughly, it may or may not need a CLA.

I got an Excellent + Nikon zoom from them, and it is in mint condition. The person on the phone was very helpful. You might ask KEH the same question. They seem very honest. It's really refreshing to do business with them.

I've bought a few things from them (nothing Leica though)and all was well. I've looked through their website under "Leica" and found many references like "inop" or "slow speeds off" or "rangefinder dim", so obviously it's clear that they are definitely not just concerned with outward looks as a couple people speculated. Plus they have a guarantee so even if they miss something or it happens within 2 months, you're ok.

Early in O5' I got a Canon P from KEH, described as Exc with "wrnkl" ...ie the metal shutter had the classic wrinkle. Turned out to be very slight wrnkl by comparison to others I've seen and speeds are nails. Interestingly, their Canon P prices rose by about $150 shortly thereafter.

Also got a Canon P from Cambridge (boo, hiss :-)...they described the camera as good condition with wrinkled shutter and CALLED ME after my purchase to see if I was happy. It was even better deal than the KEH and the wrinkle is almost totally invisible. I do realize Cambridge is considered a villain, but I made out like a bandit.

The two better-in-most-respects-than-M3 Canon Ps cost under $600 total. .

Unless specified otherwise, KEH warrants all equipment to be in perfect working condition. The ratings are for cosmetics only. So, it should be usable right out of the box.

Their Leica prices are a little on the high side, I've found. I did buy one Leitz lens from them that was rated excellent and looked (and functioned) like new. I've also bought a ton of medium format equipment from them in the last year or so. No problems at all.

I just bought a Hasselblad 500 C/M in EX condition from KEH and it did not need a CLA. I

have bought tons of lenses from them and their grading is at least two steps above fleabay

roulette. I got a Leitz 21mm SA from them in EX that looked unused. I suspect the lower

rating was because the lens needed a cleaning. Anyway you can send stuff back no

questions asked.