Good bag for skiing / snowboarding to carry one camera

jeffery_pool

Currently I either take my whole setup out (waste of space and weight) when I want to shoot

at the mountain, but I'm finding that I stick with one setup. I'd like a form-fitting backpack (I

have a mini-trekker classic that is just way to deep and wide, sticks out alot and makes it

really uncomfortable sometimes) that can hold a 35mm camera with a mid-sized soom, or a

hasselblad with a standard lens, and room for my sekonic l358 and some film. Any other

skiiers/boarders have anything they can reccomend? I am aware of the over the chest packs

but am not too fond of their dorky appearance and I don't find that I need to immediately

whip my camera out any faster than I can then taking the pack off and unzipping it. After all

looking decent is the most important part. Also, I don't find that weather-proofing is super

important (as odd as it sounds), but it would be a nice feature.

Take a normal backpack and throw in a small camera bag like a Tamrac LTC - mine packs a Rollei TLR and a Contax G if needed plus it has lots of space for other stuff. I would avoid foto backpacks, none of them will fit as good as a normal daypack like a Mammut, Deuter, Salewa, Lowe or whatever gear you prefer. I do this for years now and would never even consider a photo backpack as an alternative.

<p>

But the best solution would be to concentrate on skiing, and forget about a backpack: I did it today with a little Rollei 35s hanging on a long cord around my back and had no problems enjoying one meter of powder :)

I agree with Kai, take normal daypack and put camera bag in it ( as you said you don't think you'll need to take it out in seconds). I look after my stuff as I don't have cash to buy new gear every week. However my spine is more important and I want to focus on skiing in first place. Once you stop to take a picture, it doesn't matter what bag you pull your camera out from. I think most serious stuff comes from Mammut, Tatonka and definitly slovak Treksport. That's stuff is made to last. Check it out www.treksport.sk