Best RAW processing software for .crw from Canon G5

I want a lot of control over the image, the ability to batch-process

using standard settings, and a good jpeg-saving interface. The

original software that came with the camera is limited, and the

Elements 3 plug-in downloaded from Adobe was not too impressive (and

quite slow). Can anyone recommend other software? Many thanks.

Capture one from Phase one does everything I need. I have a home built P4 with 2G of memory so speed isn't much of an issue but it still takes time. I can crop, edit, convert, batch-process and each file in the batch can be processed differently. I like how Capture 1 has sliders that show in real time the raw conversion so I can get what I like. Including sharpening and exposure corrections. I'm not a big fan of Photoshop - its too much for an amature photographer and too expensive. I'd rather drop $800 on a new L lens than photoshop.

Paul,

Have you tried Breezebrowser? I use it for both G5 and 10D raw images and like it. Seems speedy enough on my 2gig laptop, certainly faster than Photoshop CS (I only have Photoshop 6 but tried the eval version of CS). Breezebrowser has batch processing and a good interface for saving jpegs, proofs, etc. It doesn't support exposure compensation for the G5, though. Apparently the Canon software API that Breezebrowser uses doesn't provide exposure compensation for the G5. Photoshop CS raw does provide this, though, so maybe CS uses a completely different library for raw conversion.

I've pretty much abandoned both Adobe Bridge and the Adobe RAW Converter. If you're using a PC, Irfanview is a far better image browser and launcher than Bridge and the Raw Shooters Essentials RAW converter has some real advantages over the Adobe RAW Converter especially performance and batch processing. Both are free programs.

<...some real advantages over the Adobe RAW Converter especially performance and batch

processing...> Performance? I have a Mac G5 double processor and it took about 20 sec to

process AND open a Mark 2 file in CS2 at 16 million pixel. And for batch processing, i could

do as much as 40 file in less than a minute, even with CS1, if you COPY and PASTE CAMERA

RAW setting. If a would like to open them and save them in batch, it took around 20 sec

each. Now you tell me that this software is even faster than this! i think i would buy myself a

PC or maybe ask fot one for xmas : )

• 2 weeks later...
Belated thanks to all. I have Elements 3 but can't afford CS, so I don't have Adobe Bridge. I found the Adobe RAW plug-in for Elements was not very flexible or versatile. I've now followed your advice and downloaded RAW Shooter Essentials, and I find it far far better. I already use Irfanview. Thanks to all for the tips!