Penn Camera, Washington DC -Trusty shop?

roberto calvino

My regular camera shop is Penn Camera in Laurel and I've done business with their sister store in DC as well - they are good and have always come through for me - if they don't have it in stock, they'll check their other stores to get it or special order if needed and are fast to get stuff. You should have no problems there.

When the D200 was announced, I put my name on the waiting list with Penn. After the first batch went out I called and was told that I didn't make the first shipment. Two days later they called and asked if I still wanted the camer. I guess someone backed out. Two days later it was delivered to me. Good customer service and you can even get someone to speak to on the phone (Jeff Snyder). I would certainly order from them again.

Penn Camera is a local chain of about 5 stores in the DC area. They are about the last full service camera store here and they carry most photo supplies locally so you don't have to resort to mail order. The staff is knowledge and helpfull. I've dealt with the shops in Springfield VA, Tyson's Corner VA and Rockville MD and they're all good.

I've lived in the Washington, DC metro area for 15years. Penn Camera is very good for customer service/having some needed item in stock. Their prices for film/paper/other consumables is very high in comparison to NYC, ie B&H or Adorama. For cameras, lens, and other high cost items they will meet NYC prices if you print out the price from the website with a date on it. They actually called b&h once to see if a particular lens was in stock before they sold it to me at the lower price. So for a camera, lens, tripod, strobes, high end printers I'd haggle with them but bring your research. For film, CF cards, inkjet papers go with others because you will save a ton of dough.

Penn Camera is one of the best camera shops around here I think. I go to the one on E street reguraly and also the one in Rockville. They are very easy to deal with. Although I usually dont buy alot of stuff from there I have sold several things and gotten some e-6 processing done there. I would say go with it. Last time they sold me a defective optical slave. I brought it in and they replaced it without asking.

I work a few blocks from the E street store and have purchased equipment and supplies from them for years. I will buy from them even if the price is a litte higher than I can get on line because I believe that if you don't support your local store, they won't be there when you need them. They are very trusty and always stand behind their product. The only caution about Penn, and this applies to every photo store I've used (incluidng on line stores) is that every sales person has their specialty, and if you're asking digital questions to the medium format film guy, or vice versa, you can quickly find that you know more than the sales person does.

I bought my first Nikon, a used F2, from Penn Camera in Tyson's Corner. After two years of heavy use, the meter failed and I had it repaired. Six months later, on a trip to Yellowstone, the meter failed again (that's why you take a backup). When I got back to Washington, I told the salesperson at Penn Camera that I just didn't trust the meter anymore. After all, it was over twenty years old!

They gave me 100% of my original purchase price towards a new Nikon. How's that for customer service? I never bought from the internet as long as I lived in DC. Sadly, I now live in an area without a great local camera store. The internet is great, but it's not as much fun to shop there!

Ellis