need some advice and answers for flash for hasselblad?

connicut

hi nathan here could please give me advice on flashes i am looking at

a vivitar 285HV for skateboarding photography but i have seen

hasselblad skate photographers with a little electronic box attached

to the top of the film back with a lead going round to the front with

other bits and bobs it looks like a home made flash kit please

help nathan

Nathan,

There are no "hot" shoes on a stock Hasselblad. The cord going to the front attaches to

the flash sync terminal on the lens, which syncs to the lens shutter. If you have a 503 or

553 body then you should consider flashes that are compatible with the OTF/TTL flash

metering of these models, there is an additional port on the camera body for the TTL

system. I am not familiar with this model (vivitar 285HV) but I recall others asking this

same question on this board, so a search through the archives would be a good first start.

I personally use a Hasselblad ProFlash which is based on the Metz 45, if I'm not mistaken.

But many feel the ProFlash is over priced (it is also discontinued) but can be found second

hand. I do not do skateboarding photography, but I like the fact that I read that quite a

few shooters are looking to medium format to carture it. The leaf shutter lenses are great

for flash sync at any shutter speed.

Taras

That little electronic box is more than likely a LPA Pocket Wizard transmitter, the lead will be the PC cord to connect the transmitter to the flash port (on the lenses on the Hass right?). 99% of skateboard stills you see in mags are used with remote flash slaves, so the transmitter is used to remotely fire the flashes.

I should also add that any form of TTL flash metering for skate photography should be avoided. You need COMPLETE control over your lighting power, including the flash durations (important). If the flash does not offer this control, or features a duration slower than 1/1000 on at least 1/2 power then don't bother with it. The Vivtar 285 flash offers 1/1000 at full power, that's why they popular with skate photog's.