Logo

kari douma

Kari, about your two business cards:

I like the separate panel for the text on the first card, but would separate it even more with

a border around the lower panel. On the second card, I like the fact that 'photography' is

on another line, rather than right after your name. I think the distinction between who you

are and what you do is important enough to warrant a new line of text, or some other

distinct division. I don't like that the text is not centered on the card, especially since the

text is centrally-justified to itself.

Getting back to your original logo, I think that the green is too medium in tone and the

black text doesn't stand out against it enough. It's OK, but it could be better.

Like others have suggested, perhaps you could visit a "real" graphic designer and get a

professional opinion. You could also go to a place like www.worth1000.com and pay a

fairly small fee for the people there to compete against each other to come up with a

variation on your logo.

I have dabbled in graphic design--I actually trained as a signwriter shortly after I left

school--but that was a while ago and I'm very rusty. Otherwise, I'd be able to help you

more. However, I do agree with what's already been said that your new initials font isn't as

good a complementary match as the original one on your cards (it looks like Brush Script

MD to me). If you insist on doing this yourself, :) do a search through other wedding

photographer's sites and check out their logos. Also, google for "logo design portfolio"

and view a few professionals' work.

ok, I have taken the KD out of the logo. Now these are the two fonts I like right now. I guress I could look a few more hours! So, are these too simple? Do they scream amiteur? I looked at a lot of other sites. It seamed to me that most did not use initials like you all said. I also looked at logo design companies. The ones that I looked at had a lot of graphics in them also, but I didn't like that. So, do these look better, or still too simple?<div>00Em2S-27376484.jpg.cedaabdeab91af6ed3e89bde5f7efbc9.jpg</div>

Kari, I really agree with Marc about the use of a designer. Graphic Designers probably feel the same way we do about people trying to design their own logos and promo cards in the same way we here feel about the point and shooters at doing wedding photography.

That said out of your new selection I like the second one and agree that it is better without the initials. Regarding "simple" I think simple can be good. I also get your point about wanting a logo of some kind, a graphic artist can probably design something that you will love and know it when you see it and you won't have to stay up all night and still not really love any of them.

Kari, I like all four of your new designs better than any previous one, and I think they all give you the option of using just the "KD" initials in the same script as the one you eventually choose as a sort of "shorthand" logo on inner pages, proofs, etc...

There are still a few things I'd change - most notably the lines. Something about the fact that they aren't proportional to the text width and are "too far below" the text lines troubles my eye. Perhaps they also should be lighter (i.e. gray instead of black) than the text, so that they don't draw the eye away from the subject, which is your name.

Marc W's advice about a graphic designer is probably good - though you do have elegant taste and good instincts.

The background color is kind of nice, by the way; it gives a quiet and somewhat old-fashioned impression.

Kari, I like your new logos in the order they're presented. So, the top is best; the bottom not

my favourite.

That said, I still think you need more separation between your name and your business.

Perhaps something like--but not exactly like--this:<div>00Em78-27378084.jpg.611f86173ac6d2c956778155384039bc.jpg</div>

I agree 100% with Marc... NO initials. Just my humble opinion but I think it makes it too busy and personally I'd like to see a simple and elegant look.

Understated and elegant. The image is the attention getter and the "logo" and phone number should be able to fit any "mood" and not take attention from the image..

Just for fun - I played a bit.. Different fonts also..<div>00Em7G-27378284.jpg.58be9f0ff3253258e416826b70580c22.jpg</div>

Thank you all. You have given me something to go with. I am definately taking my initials out of it, and I think I am going to rest on it and concentrate on my website. (That was what I really wanted to work on, but I got sidetracked with my logo.) Maybe once I am done with my website, I can work on that a little more, or find a designer, so my logo doesn't look as bad as "uncle bob's pictures"!

Kari, your card does not look as bad as "Uncle Bob's Pictures!" I hope you don't think that is what I meant. I designed my own card and ran it by a designer and she offered a couple of elements and ideas I really liked and actually used a combo of both. She had some suggestions on type and did a very cool vertical layout that was much more unique and original then what I came up with, but there were some things I did not like and liked in mine better, so we put them together. Anyway I don't think you design like our uncle shoots! Cheers.

Hi Kari, I'm a little late on this but... I definitely agree with the suggestion to hire a professional as they are the expert and likely can come up with many things to choose from and know fonts and colors that work well. Your wedding photos show elegance but also a lot of fun and emotion and I think the more fun looking fonts fit you better than the plain straight line ones and the delicate prints look nicer than the bold one. To me the font can make the logo interesting enough without cluttering with initials. So I'd say you'd be looking for a little fun and different but simple enough to be clear and memorable. When I first looked at your top entries, I liked the curvy "k" but maybe the rest should be more simple. Since I can't even burn a dvd these days, I have no clue how to post a sample of what's in my mind. I'd be curious when you end up deciding on something though. Good luck!