Feedback on senior photos

frolickingbits

I did my first paid senior portrait gig a couple weeks ago, and I'm

looking to get some feedback on my photos. The client is delighted

with them (this was her second time around-she had paid another

photographer for photos she really didn't like), but I'd like to get

some opinions from other pros. The url to the photos is: <a

href="http://apdphoto.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1594">http://apdphoto.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=1594</a>

<br><br>

Equipment used: Pentax *ist D, Tokina 28-70 f2.8, Sunpak 555, Sunpak

440 Auto (Hair Light)

<br><br>

Thanks!<div>00DtMC-26117084.jpeg.5559b0e23a5625d1c247fb62bcbc2702.jpeg</div>

As long as the client is happy, which you say she is, you can be satisfied. I think (if you don't already own one) that you need to add an 80-200 f/2.8 lens to your hardware collection. The more expensive fast glass add some nice contrast that I thought your pictures needed, they are bit flat. When shot wide open your outdoor close-ups will have a nice out of focus background that will be less busy and distracting. The posing are OK, sortof, the pose with her hands around her throat looks like she's being suffocated though.

I like them. I agree that if your client is happy, you can consider it a successful job! I second the lens recommendation and the suggestion for utilizing shallow DOF more. Also, sunlight through trees is a pain. I've totally been there... now I generally try to avoid shooting in spots where the splotch factor is inevitable. I love the pink wall background. Very girly. :-) Senior portraits are all about individual personality and if you captured that- as it seems you have- then you've done your job, IMO.

You have no idea how long I've been eyeing the Sigma 80-200 f2.8. Ah, the things I would buy if money were no object...

The shots in the tree were very difficult (backlighting, major shadows, tough angle), but it was "her" special tree, and she really wanted photos with it, so I did the best I could with lots o' fill flash.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!