Shutter speeds on The hasselblad 500 C/M

rob_knight

I'm comparing a bronica ETRS series to a hasselblad 500 c/m. I know

the lenses are cheaper for the bronica, but what is the fastest

shutters on both of them? They both have leaf shutters right? Some

help on the very final decition of purchase would be very much

appreciated. Can someone help me compare the two systems. I have a

6x6 negative carrier at my school darkroom, so this is not an issue.

Thanks alot, Rob

The Hasselblad has leaf shutters in each lens. Therefore, perhaps different lenses would have different top shutter speeds. I believe the standard lens 80mm f/2.8 goes up to 1/500 - the good news is that it can fire flash up to this speed as well. I know nothing about the Bronicas, except that I believe the camera has a focal plane shutter.

Fastest shutter speed is 1/500 sec for both systems. However,HBL can only make 1/350 sec at aperture 22 but I dont know if ETRS is faster at 22. The electronic shutter on ETRS can make 8 sec and HBL only 1 sec. With an AE prism on the ETRS, you can use aperture priority AE. With HBL you have to set aperture and shutter speed manually always.

Both the Bronica and the Hasselblad should have shutterspeeds up to 1/500 and with both systems you'll have the flashsync at all speeds..

Some differences would be that the Hasseblad is a Mechanical system, so it does not rely on batteries to control the shutter, the Bronica works with a electronical system so it does rely on batteries to control the shutter.

A downside of this obviously is that you'll always need some good batteries in case they stop working, but imo isn't a real problem at all unless you are using it for heavy professional use, a plus side of this is that it is more accurate than the mechanical system, with Hasselblad the same shutter speed can vary from lens to lens and after a while you will need to service your lenses in order to keep them accurate. The other big difference is obviously the cost, Bronica's are imo one of the best buy on MF at the moment. You could also take a look at Bronica's SQ-A or SQ-Ai, these are basicly the same as the ETRS(i) but are 6x6 and not 6x4.5. You need not worry about optical quality because on both systems the amount of quality will be more than enough.

Mick