*ist DL + 40/2.8 pancake - travel everywhere option?

chris_at_vividoptic.com

Anyone use this set-up as a compact? Or one piece travel camera/lens

I am considering it.

I have looked at DPR and found the reviews of the 40/2.8 highly

favourable.

Probably the smallest dSLR set-up available. I guess vs Nikon D50 +

45/2.8 pancake. But the Pentax optic has more appeal to me. Price is

better, and the Pentax lens has the edge.

Any comments anyone. This is for a work travel camera. Sure the 40 >

60mm s a tad long for some. A camera I can pack into the smallest

space available and take EVERYWHERE with the controls of an SLR.

I'm a Minoltian with several prime lenses. The sensible option is the

Minotla 5D and use my 28/2. But the Pentax mentioned here buys me

into the pancake lens.

Other options are Ricoh GD-1 (used to have GR-1 in film days). But

that is about 90% of the *istDL body price. Overpriced compact.

6mega pixs is loads for me.

Thoughts? Do it? Other options? Its all about the lens for me.

Camera needs spot meter and Av mode, everything else I ignore. Will

miss the AS on my 7D. But its an additional camera to my kit. To act

as my travel compact.

Good idea? Bad idea? Ta for advice.

Personally, I find a 30-40mm field of view to be far better for travel pics than a 60mm, but perhaps your shooting preferences are different. It's certainly a terrific and small package.

Just understand the differences between the DL and DS or DS2 before you buy. I'm going to pounce on a DS2 sometime this year.

Diffs between the *ist models. No, I don't understand. I've read the spec, and they all look pretty well the same.

As long as the DL has spot meter, Av, and single frame advance, and I can find a black one. Then that's it. Its the same chip as my Minolta 7D, so I know the high ISO performance.

IS there anything scarey I should know about the DL, burning reasons to go for any other ist model. This is more than a back-up model for me. Its a carry everywhere, so if I have to nudge up to the next model with in practical terms no significant size/weight gain - then I'm happy man.

Actually I would kill for Nikon FE type of camera with spot meter! But digital. And AF are the bonus points here :>

Camera will be well wrapped in hand-luggage, well treated in use, so build quality needs to be OKAY but not Canon 1D-like.

DL - a simple box to put behind the 40/2.8. Fits the bill?

Went into all 3 camera stores today to get hands-on with ist. Not a single Pentax ist in town!

http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/amateur_digital_slrs/0106pentax/index1.html

About halfway down the page is a table summarizing the DL vs. DS2 differences. Web searches will yield many more.

Another $100 or so nets you the 18-55 kit lens, considered by some to be a decent performer for the money. Again, web search for reviews - I don't own either one (yet).

I use the Nikon 45/2.8P pancake on a Nikon F75 (aka N75) film camera. I like the

combination of heavily-automated body (centre-weighted and spot, flash, PASM,

motordrive, etc, etc) with manual focussing. It's a strange combination of retro 50's style

photojournalism and modern photography and it works for me, not least because it's more

pocketable than an F75 with a big zoom. It's like an FE on steroids; I have an FE as well, in

fact, but I prefer the pancake on the F75. Mostly I put the F75 on aperture priority and

snap away. If you've ever been happy with a film SLR with a 50mm prime lens, I think you'd

probably enjoy the digital combination you describe.

The Pentax 28/2.8 M is extremely compact (not as tiny as the DA 40) and would give you a much more useful all-purpose focal length. The sharpness wide open won't be as good as the 40, but stop it down and it performs well enough. Or, just wait a couple months for the 20-30mm pancake that is on Pentax's roadmap for 2006. I can imaging taking along two pancake lenses would take up less space than a single zoom, although the 18-55 with the DS is a nice compact all-purpose DSLR. The 18-55 is sharp, the only thing you have to worry about is vignetting at the wide end. Other than that, a great lens for the money.

thanks people. I should have mentioned that I don't do zooms. At all. Hate the things. And the size of even the free one that comes on the body, I would rather carry my 28/2 or 35/1.4 and keep my low light cover. I don't do flash either.

Yeah, I've read in a few forums about 'the other pancakes on Pentax roadmap'. But the only roadmap file I've seen only has the DA40 on it. Is the wide angle pancake a rumour or has this been semi-official, we just wait for release date and actual focal length.

For some reason I cannot convince myself that the Ricoh will do the job for me, although it is smaller and overall cheaper. Its a lot for a compact. And I know how well the film compact performed, back in film the days the GR-1 was my 28mm lens

At the moment I take my 7D & grip & 28/2 or 35/1.4 in a bag. If I am stuck for space the grip comes off. But this is still bulky, and a two piece set-up. The space saving to a *ist & 40 pancake body mounted is significant. If I am resigned to a normal sized 28mm lens. Then I will get a Minolta 5D and use my 28/2 (barrel size not that different from the 28/2.8s).

There is also the size/weight of the *istDL+40 as a take everywhere camera. The focal length is really not a problem for me. In film days the 35mm length was my prefered walk about, sometime the 28mm on the Ricoh. I adapt to the focal length. Now is the 28 or 35 on my 7D, which has the same 1.5x crop.

Sure if there is a 24mm pancake coming out in June, then I'll wait and go that way. Any wider, maybe I'd have both? Depends on the price. The Ricoh GD-1 bring the price back into the equation. Lots cheaper than the ist and 40, I'm guessing a wide pancake will cost more than the 40. Not a huge fan of the compacts tiny sensor and would definately miss the f1.4-2.8 range from my 35/1.4. But I think a 1.5x crop dSLR with 40/2.8 gives better aperture control than a 28/2.8 equvalent (Ricoh). I don't take many scenics, I shoot THINGS that i see if that makes sence. So with a wide I get up close.

And given the choice of only have one focal length: wide, normal, tele. I would go for normal as a travel lens. Bucks the trends I know. But wide is my 2nd or 3rd choice.

Real shame I can't get hands-on on a body in town. Then lens I've seen shots of and would fit the bill perfectly.

Back to me, I take days out with just one lens at the moment. Either 28/2 or 35/1.4, sometimes just my 50/3.5 macro. I favour the slightly longer length and my 28/2 will be dropped from my kit at the end of the year, leaving me with a (16)/35/135/300 set-up on Minolta. The 16/2.8 fisheye is uber wide, but its a wild lens not a proper wide angle.

I guess its really back to "as a simple dSLR with spot meter, Av, single frame advance unit to hold the smallest SLR lens I can find .... would you give the thumbs up to the *istDL" to someone who is totally new to Pentax. I come from Canon FD, EOS, Oly OM, Nikon FM/FE, Minolta 7D, Mamiya C220 & RB67, Voigltänder background during the last 18 years.

I own a *IST Ds and had considered that new DA 40mm. But then 40mm X 1.5 = 60mm. Not a focal I could use everywhere.

If Pentax could make a compact 28mm F:2 or even 2.8 (42mm) I would buy it. So, as an alternative I use an old manual KA 28mm F:2.8. Not easy to focus but it is a sharp lens. And yoy can have it cheap.

I used to have a Pentax MX and 40mm F2.8 pancake that I took with my on hillwalking, mountain biking and off-road motorcycling trips. It was a great combination and better than a point and shoot, but ultimately I wanted wider angles so switched to carrying a less robust and larger (although no heavier) MZ5 & 19-35mm combination instead.

With a digital SLR then I think the equivalent of 60mm would be too limiting - the 31mm might be a better option or perhaps the 24mm F2 as it's still reasonably small.

The Limted Edition 43/1.9 is a very nice lens and without its screw on lens hood it is also really small. It is expensive, but right now B&H lists a $100 rebate on it, bringing the price down to about $380 if I remember right. Still a lot, but a great lens, can be used full frame on a film body, all metal, and it appears that the once rare black version is now available and in stock. I was surprised how small it gets because all ofthe pics I had seen of it before I bought it were with the hood on. It's not quite a pancake, but it's close. The diameter of the lens is not small, but it sticks out from the body much less than others. The great benefit of this is that you would now have a nice fast aperture (1.9) to use instead of the (to me) very limiting 2.8 of the 40 pancake. In my opinion that makes a world of difference, and if you are a prime only shooter I suspect you feel the same way. I also just noticed in a brand new post above that Pentax today announced a new *ist DL2 model. Not much different from the DL, but this, as well as the Samsung equivalents might change the market enough to effect prices on the older models if you can wait a bit.

<p>

Mmm, thanks guys. So if you are all recommending a normal sized small lens instead of the pancake, then I should stick to my Minolta 7D (or get a 5D, its smaller body) and use my current Min 28/2 or even 50/1.7.

</p>

<p>

This is certaintly the cheaper option. Already have the lenses, and the batteries and the CF cards. A side jump for one lens carrying box (*istD L or L2) would involved new battery and card investment.

</p>

<p>

So I am at these options:

</p>

<p>

- *istD L + 40/2.8 pancake ... smallest dSLR package I can get

</p>

<p>

- Minolta 5D + my Min 28/2 or 50/1.7 .... bigger in the lens dept

</p>

<p>

- Ricoh GR Digital ... small chip

</p>

<p>

- Epson RD-1 ... way out of budget

</p>

I might have some useful insight. My main kit is a 20D with several Canon primes.

Like you I was attracted to the Pentax because of the pancake lens and size. So it came to pass I traded my Canon 17-40 for an istDS and bought the DA40. I also dredged up 28, 50, 135, and 200 "M" lenses on Ebay. I maybe have $300.00 in all four. If I'd bought the older lenses first I'd have skipped the DA40. These older Pentax lenses rock. The DA40 is a terrific lens as well. An istDS/DL with the 28,50, and 100 or 135 would make a perfectly usable travel kit. The "M" lenses are super compact. I certainly couldn't go back to a small sensor camera after using DSLR's for a few years now.

My .02 Rich Reusser

The perfect combo is the Ist and the 31mm Limited IMHO. I use mine when the 1Ds is just too stupid big for situations.

In my case, I opted for the DL, since it was cheap. The other posters are right in saying that it's viewfinder isn't the best of the line- but keep in my that the normal prism'ed (D, Ds, etc.) ist's have some of the best viewfinders of sub-frame DSLRs.

Richard, Ryan - thank you. This is just the advice I needed. People in one system. Jump for a pancake or ltd ed lens and a body to hold it. Just my situation. And thanks for the note on not moving to the mini-chip on the compact.

So I am typing to people with FF dSLRs that have an *ist and a small prime as a knockabout camera. Well, my main body is already a 1.5x and I'm a happy digital cropped guy. So the crop I am used to.

Pentax roadmap. Doh! I'm such a Pentax newbie. I see that there is a wide and a portrait pancake lens on the map. Good to see there are plans for more. Not sure if this influences my decision too much. Given the f2.8 ness of the 40mm I am happy with the longer lens (effective 60mm) if that makes sence. I like to take close-up shots of things with normal lenses, so it won't ge a great deal of use as a scenic lens. Although for architecture crops it would do well.

Thanks again people. I'm still 50/50. Love the look of the new DL2, shame its not for Europe. I like the retro buttons, do i wait or the Samsung DL2, or have i got that all wrong?

Just about to close a deal on one of my spare Minolta lenses, which is about the same cash as the *ist DL body. Moves me to 80/20 go/no-go on the DL+pan. Have website name lurking for a new project dedicated to the set-up too.

You've helped people - thank you. All planned to be a one lens system. But I never stick to my plans, will be interested to see the other pancakes when they launch of course.

Anyone want to sell their MINT 40/2.8 pancake? chris [at] vividoptic [dot] com - that's me

I did the same: *istDS and a DA40, plus the 16-45 for wide angles. The 35mm frame view is

my favorite, but I was surprised how much I got from the equivalent 60mm view of the DA40

when traveling. Now the DA40 is the default lens on the camera (but I'm excited about the

wider pancake mentioned in Pentax's roadmap).

Thank you all. I have decided that I will get a Pentax *istDL + 40/2.8 pancake.

My Minolta kit will be slimmed to 7D + 28/2 + 100/2.8 + 300/2.8 - once I've sold my spare Minolta primes I'll probably also get the Ricoh GR Digital as a pocket camera

This give me:

- Ricoh for a carry camera everywhere

- DL+40 for work travel smallest space smallest dSLR camera

- 7D + 28 + 100 for city breaks. 300 is for wildlife shots

Look forward to seeing Pentax bring out the other pancakes.

Anyone know of a better deal into the UK other than getting *istDL + kit lens from eBay HongKong, pay the tax, sell the kit. Looks like the cheapest deal around. What return price should I expect for the kit lens. It will be unopened and still in the box.

Thanks for your advice people.

Could someone confirm that I can just leave the *istDL in Aperture mode, and spot meter and AF and each time I turn it on it will remember those setings. I've never used a Pentax before.

I have a Pentax *ist DS and just recently bought the 40mm pancake lens. It is a great combo that takes clear, sharp pictures. It makes for a very small profile compared to the kit lens. The 18 - 55mm kit lens is ok, but I much prefer prime lenes over zoom. Since I bought the pancake lens the kit lens has been wrapped up in my camera bag! Here is an example of a <A HREF="http://www.jeffreyscott.ca/gallery/d/426-2/Montreal_05.jpg">picture</A>

taken with it last week when I was in Montreal.

<P>

<P>

(Co-workers of a Montreal fireman killed on the job Saturday prepare to release white doves in front of the Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal. )