I have a HP 7960 photo printer that has been working perfectly since

purchase (alittle more than a year ago). Recently, a scraping noise

will eminate form the printer while making a print. The noise occurs

near the end of the print, about 1/2" from the edge. It only occurs

during borderless prints. The resulting print has an obvious scrape

mark (not band) and smeared ink. HP tech support had me perform soft

and hard resets, as well as cleanings and calibrations, all to no

avail. They then told me it was the paper, I told them it didn't

matter what paper I was using, HP, Kodak, Fuji.... they all did it.

HP then said it was due to humid conditions and the paper curling

while inside the printer. The fix was to make sure the paper is

stored flat, and to be sure it was flat before loading into the paper

tray. I store my paper flat, in an air conditioned room, and always

appears to be flat when I use it.

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance........

Hi Ernie, Just my .02 cent's worth... In a word, escalate. IMHO, they jerked you around too much and it's obvious that the person you spoke with simply didn't have a clue what the problem is. They typically aren't printer repair people and read from scripts that are simple flow-charts. (Try A if that doesn't work, try B, etc.) So I'd politely ask to speak with a superior and if they can't - or won't - resolve it ask for Customer Service as opposed to Tech Support. It's a good idea to always ask for names and write them down, keeping a thorough log of the problem and what you've done. It's very important to try to be as calm and polite as possible but firm. Remind them that you didn't pay for a printer with a problem and if it can't be repaired (although I suspect it can) it can be replaced. I believe the 7960 has been discontinued for a newer model but I'm sure HP has a few sitting around - as well as people who can fix them. It also doesn't hurt to remind them that, while your printer is down, (you need borderless prints which it can't produce, right?) you're not buying their ink and paper. BTW I own a 7960 and knock on wood, it's OK, but I just use it for B&Ws. It's a good printer but I wouldn't say it's exactly built like a tank. Anyway, hopefully a squeaky wheel will get the grease - good luck!

What they told you is usually the thing to do.

However, gently roll a sheet of paper in the curl it will go up and under through your printe (so that it lightly "cupping" WITH the curl of the roller). That usually solves the problem and it will reflatten aftter it prints. When the humidity/temperature changes, give it up and go back to the way it always was. If you still have the problem, return to Plan A.

Conni

Interesting problem. According to what you posted, the problem only occurs on the last 1/2" of a picture, and only on a boarderless print.

If there is some truth in what HP has told you (paper curling), then the scrape you hear and see evidence of may be caused by a part of the ink carriage comming into contact with the paper. Can you open up the printer such that you can see the BACK of the ink carriage ? If so, then you may see which part is contacting the paper. You can then clean the part and maybe scrape or file down the offending edge.

The first few prints I printed from my 7960 exhibited multiple faint and parallel scrape lines- like a gentle comb had been scraped accross the print. Looking at the printer, I noticed that the spring loaded metal guides that are at the end of the print path seemed to cause the comb lines I saw. After a few prints, the lines no longer appeared and have not returned (1.5yrs later). Possibly the edges of the metal guides were not quite smooth, and the rough edges caused the lines. After passing over a few prints containing wet ink I suspect that a layer of ink built up on the surface, essentially filling in the rough areas. The now smooth guide surface no longer affected the print.

If the paper in your printer is indeed curling up at the back edge, it is possible that these metal guides may be the cause of what you see. Again, open up and inspect the printer. If possible, try to closely observe the print path while printing- you may see the offending part.

Best,

Ross

Thanks everybody.

I did take the back cover off, as described by HP, cleaned the rollers and checked for debris. Had the paper tray out too. No avail.

FYI... I have performed mutliple calibrations and the problem is getting better and now somewhat intermittent. I'm going to take apart what I can and see if I can trace paper path and find any other problems. Hopefully I'll be able to staighten this out... I really like the printer, especially for B&W. Again... thanks for all the advice. I was considering the 8750.......

I havee an 8750 since the beginning of this year and love it. I use the 7960 now mostly for printing 4x6. No reason not to use it for 8x10 but have just fallen into the habit of segregating the sizes.

One of my students asked about a printer and this week bought a 7960. They are still out there (a few) at reputable dealers NIB with full HP warranty.

I wish you well in solving your problem.

Conni