How often do you replace your CF cards?

daydreamsart

I haven't. The number of cycles expectable are huge. Failures, if any, are random and not really predictable. There are a variety of figures kicked around on sites that show on a Google search. So, fwiw, anywhere from an older Wikipedia article which points to 10,000 to 1,000,000 and others which pointo even much higher cycles, 300,000 to 1,000,000,000 or more. It seems likely that if you moved to newer higher capacity cards, that you've easily got several years expectable life even in extremely heavy use. Maybe replace them when you wear out the cameras you are using them in?

I've put my cards through the wash many times. One of my cards has a huge dent on the underside. I've dropped 'em, stepped on 'em, sat on 'em. They all work great and have for a long time. In case it matters, I mainly use one 1gb 80x lexar and two 512mb Sandisk UltraII cards.

Ever since my dog lost his favorite ball 9 months ago, I've been letting him use my CF cards as chew toys. Sure they are torn up quite a bit and one side is ripped open, but as long as I can turn it upside down and shake it and not have any of the stored bits fall on to the floor, I'll still use it. Obviously I'm just kidding. They can really take a beating and I've never had to replace them. By the way I use Kingston CF cards. I find them on newegg.com. They are really cheap and I've NEVER had any problem with them. I highly recommend them only because they are much cheaper than the other name brand disks.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but an earlier answer got me thinking... I dropped a PDA with an SD card, from a height of 3'. It wouldn't start. It ended up, the SD card had been cracked slightly (invisible, under the label). I'm now a bigger fan of CF cards.